Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Amber 35

5
5 Comments 5
1.1k Views 1.1k
1.1k words 1.1k words
Spring break finally ended and Ally returned to college. She had given Amber a list of exercises to perform using the baby carrier instead of weights and put her on a three days on and two off regime. It was similar to the same routine she used and gave her great results.

With the end of the break Bruce now devoted the bulk of his free time between work and studying for his finals, so he only saw Amber on the weekends. He was surprised at just how much he missed and thought about her when he did not visit her every day. He was equally surprised by how he felt when he finally made it over to see her, she had become a very important part of his life though he didn't want to admit it.

Amber was also studying when she could. She had received her school books and reading assignments from her friend Barbi , and she was up to date on all her classes. Her father called in some favors and the Board of Education agreed to have her final exams delivered to her house by a student teacher. The teacher would remain while she took the tests to ensure no one was there to help her.

It was a needless worry, Amber was a bright student and always aced her finals. She video chatted with Bruce almost every night after Lea fell asleep, it was something they both looked forward to. On one of these chats, he informed her that his parents were throwing a graduation party for him despite his protests and he wanted to personally invite her.

It would be a small party with only a handful of relatives attending. She declined as there would be no sitter available.

"You don't need a sitter, bring Lea with you," he told her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure, You both are a part of my life."

"What about the questions on who the Father is?"

"Tell them it's me. Most people believe its mine anyway"

"We will need a ride to your place," she informed him.

"Not a problem."

After they ended the video chat Amber's heart swelled with love. He didn't care about introducing his sixteen-year-old girlfriend and child to his relatives. He had the same attitude when he introduced her when she was pregnant.

The last weeks of May arrived and it was time for the final exams. Bruce worried after each one and wondered if he passed. It was a needless worry, Bruce was a good student and all the time spent studying paid off. Two weeks later found him dressed in his cap and gown waiting for his name to be called.

He walked across the stage and shook hands with the Principal and received his diploma. He then switched the tassel on his cap from right to left and returned to his seat. His parents took dozens of pictures in between hugging him and congratulating him on a job well done.

The first Saturday arrived and that was the date for the party. He received hugs, kisses and praise from all of them and humbly accepted the cards stuffed with cash. He left for only a few minutes to pick up Amber, he couldn't believe how great she looked in her dress slacks and blouse.

Soon with Lea in a stroller he reintroduced her to all his relatives. Many could not believe that she had just recently had a child due to her shape, It was a little while later that Bruce saw his Dad talking to a man that he had not met, he was eventually called over to them.

"Son, this is Tony Mancuso. Tony is with the local 195," he said in the way of an introduction.

They shook hands and Bruce was surprised when his Dad walked away. The older man sat down and asked Bruce to do the same.

"Yer pop says you're thinking of putting off college for the Summer and working," he stated as he lit a cigarette.

"Yes," Bruce responded simply.

"I want you to consider working for Masterson Steel."

"Why there?"

"The money will be great, a whole lot better than what you're making at that restaurant. It will be more than enough for you to support your girlfriend and that baby and it will be helping your future."

"My future?"

"Yer Dad said you're interested in politics?"

"I am."

Well, you work the steel warehouse and learn everything there is to know about it. You attend college and study hard. Then you can come to work for the unions," Tony informed him.

Bruce could only stare with a smile on his face.

"Ain't none of us there getting any younger and we will need to have replacements ready so we can retire. So, you interested?" Tony asked.

"I am very interested," Bruce responded.

"Good. Now enjoy your party and give me a call before Memorial Day," Tony responded as he handed Bruce his business card.

He placed the card in his pocket and then went in search of Amber, he found her in the house changing Lea. When she finished he spun her around and wrapped her in his arms and placed a long lingering kiss on her lips.

Amber responded by hugging him even tighter and returning the kiss.

"Wow, what was that for?" she asked with a big smile.

"No, reason. You mean I can't I kiss my girlfriend just because I love her."

"Anytime and anyplace", she responded.

Aunt Helen finally arrived and gave them both long hugs.Like the others, she spent a great deal of time cooing over Lea.When Bruce walked away to get his favorite Aunt a drink, she spoke to Amber.

"So are you excited about going to prom with him?"

"You have no idea how excited," Amber responded.

"Have you found the perfect dress yet?"

"No, I'm still looking."

"Then look no further," she responded as she extracted a card from her wallet.

Amber knew this place. It was as close to shopping on Rodeo Drive as one could without visiting California.

"I can't ask my Dad to spend a ton of money on a dress I will only wear once."

"I know the owner personally and he owes me big time. Just call me on the day you are going and I will contact him and let him know you are coming. It will only cost your Dad to park his car."

"Why are you being so nice to me?

"Because I want you to look stunning for Bruce. I may be a cold and cynical lawyer, but I know true love when I see it."

Amber tucked the card in her pocket just as Bruce reappeared with the beverages.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments