Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Twinkle Twinkle

1
1 Comment 1
975 Views 975
2.5k words 2.5k words




TWINKLE TWINKLE




 



























Chapter 1 -THE BLUE SUITS



Everything seemed normal on that cool October evening at the little hospital in the small town.

“Push girl!”. Cried Dr. Storm positioned at the end of the hospital bed. Dr. Jayne Strom was a small intense woman with a sheath of dark hair and hazel eyes. This was so far a textbook birth.... except for the fact that Mom did not have any ID and did not seem to know or was unwilling to say who she was. A passer-by found her on the sidewalk suffering dehydration and exhaustion and in early labour had brought her to the hospital. After plenty of intravenous fluids and a few hours rest she was fully dilated and ready to push.

Mom was very grateful and had even tried to leave.

Dr. Storm finally convincing her to stay for the safety of the baby... it would be dangerous to have the baby on her own with no help. Besides it was too late to leave, as she would not get more that a block before the baby came. Dr. Storm was concerned that the young woman was unwilling to give any personal information, or next of kin. She claimed she had no family. Dr. Storm was also very concerned why the father of the baby or the Mother’s parents did not come looking for her? It was all so strange, but Dr. Storm did not want to push her and scare her off. Something inside was telling her this girl needed her.

“Just one more push and your baby will be here.” Dr. Storm flashed her quick smile of encouragement. Everything was going well, she was even delivering naturally!

Then all hell broke loose, the power flickered then went out. “Don’t worry “said Dr. Storm...”the back-up generator should kick in any second, but it didn’t Dr. Storm was doing her best to deliver the baby in the dim light. She wondered why the power was out? The night was cool and calm...no bad weather.

Page 1

Dr. Storm encouraged her Jane Doe “that’s it push”! As the baby’s matted haired head came Dr. Storm was stunned to see a faint blue light

...Like...an aura around the baby! Mom /Jane Doe gave one great push and the rest of the baby was born.

Dr. Storm was so shocked by the blue light that she nearly missed helping with the delivery! Her nurse… Betty was busy looking for some implement in the darkness at the other end of the room. She did not notice what was going on. Dr. Storm held the baby for an instant before the electricity came flickering back on flooding the small white room in light. Dr. Storm noticed the blue aura was gone! .... Did she imagine it? Nurse Betty came back over. Jayne decided it must have been a trick of the dim light. She did not to mention the blue aura to Betty as she did not want to be the subject of a psychiatric evaluation.

The baby let out a small cry and settled into a normal breathing pattern. The monitor suddenly sounded loudly. Nurse Betty hastily went to the mother’s side...assessed her then raced for the phone “ This is L&B (labour and delivery) I’ve got a good baby.... Mom is unresponsive”. She hung up and came back to Mom / Jane Doe. Dr. Storm did not have time to wonder what was going on, she cut the umbilical cord and cleaned the baby’s mouth before handing the baby to nurse Betty. The Trauma team came rushing into the room and was feverishly trying to revive her.

She was a pretty girl ...not more that 18 years old, lovely long auburn hair...a shade Dr. Storm had never seen. She had clear big hazel eyes...much softer than her own. She had a full mouth and a sprinkle of freckles across her pert little nose. She was attractive, even flushed and covered in sweat from labour. What had happened? She wondered as someone shouted “clear”! The birth had been textbook? She assumed that the girl had had no prenatal care. Did she have a pre existing condition that had been complicated by the birth? Jane Doe had seemed healthy; the few tests they were able to do had come back fine. Dr. Storm did something she had not done in a long time, she prayed.

Page 2

Ten minutes later it was over, she was gone. They had determined that she had an Aynurisim, which had burst when she had delivered her baby girl.

Dr. Storm’s heart sank, she never got used to losing a patient, especially one who had barely become a mother. She walked sombrely out of the small white room and over to the admitting desk, a weak smile on her lips, “hey Kate any one inquiring about our Jane Doe?” “No” the heavy set pleasant looking receptionist

Shook her head sadly. “Ok...let’s wait for a bit before we call social services for the baby”. Dr. Storm knew that Kate already knew about the mom. News traveling in the ER could rival any social network site. “Oh and do we know what caused the power outage”? Kate looked confused “ what power outage?” Dr. Storm was now confused...”oh we had a power failure in room 3” “Shall I call maintenance?” her swift hands had the phone to her ear...fingers poised over the buttons looking expectantly. “No ...it is back on now...thank-you Kate”. Dr. Storm walked to her office, grateful it was quiet and she could think for a moment.

Page 3

“We must find the girl!” the striking woman slammed her fist on the table. “It has been nearly a year” “ Apologies Mistress, but we have looked everywhere, she is simply too well hidden ” replied one of the well dressed middle aged men sitting at the ornately carved table. “Unacceptable” she glared. “ Calm yourself Juda soothed another well dressed young man “ we will find her” It unease’s me that there has been no sign of her since she escaped a year ago.” “ You of all people Jordon should know why” I am losing faith in you as my personal advisor...and you don’t want that to happen.” She had moved to close to fill the gap between her and Jordon...her rare violet eyes boring into his blue.

“No Juda, I certainly do not want that” “Good than double your efforts” “Yes Juda,” he murmured as she turned her back and glided out the room. She was a woman you did not want to get to know better, her intense rare violet eyes seemed to know what you are thinking. Long silver hair that she wore off her face and nearly hung to her slim waist. It was hard to determine her age. Her hair was silver, but thick and lovely. Her face smooth and wrinkle free, gave no indication of her maturity. She was beautiful ...but there was no warmth to her at all...all ice. Jordon turned to the table, “ok men you heard her, any and all options are to be explored”. One of the five well-dressed men looked up from his laptop. “Sir, it may be a waste of time...but one of my sources has informed me a hospital in the remote town of Sage Brooke have two Jane Does...we know that is where our last possible sighting of her was”. “ It may be worth looking into” “ I highly doubt it “ replied Jordon. “It would be too risky for her to go to a hospital, However at this point we cannot leave any stone unturned. The five men silently filed out of the large but sparsely furnished room, each man dressed in an odd shade of blue suit.

Page 4

Chapter 2 - A NAME

Dr. Storm could not focus on her work, so she decided to check on the baby. She walked into the dimly lit nursery…machines hummed softly. She walked over to an isolet that was far in the corner of the nursery. “How is our little miss “Dr. Strom asked nurse Betty, and why is her isolet this far into the corner?” “The machines don’t want to work around her...she is doing just fine.” a perfect little patient, she smiled” “Strangest thing…we cannot hook her up to any monitors…they won’t work on her” …” “I once knew a school secretary who could not wear a watch because her bio-magnetic field rendered it useless, but nothing like this”. That is strange” Dr. Storm frowned. Dr. Storm looked at the tag on the front of the isolet… MY NAME IS MORRISETTE. “Morrisette”? Dr. Storm asked? Betty smiled “ I just couldn’t bare calling her Baby Jane Doe…so I named her after a favourite singer of mine, Alanis Morrisette…that lady’s songs got me through many a broken hearted night. “ It is just for now…Nurse Betty’s smile faded as she looked down at the sleeping infant…they can give her her permanent name later.” She said sadly, sad for the uncertain future of the sweet baby”. “Morrisette has a nice ring to it” smiled Dr. Storm. She decided she must have imagined the blue aura…so she did not bother mentioning it to Betty. However she made a mental note of the fact that the equipment would not work on her…as well as the blue aura she thought she saw and the power failure at her birth. Was it all a coincidence? She decided she would request some vacation time very soon.

The two women admired the enchanting infant a moment longer when Kate came in “Dr. Storm there is a young Gentleman here inquiring about the Mom.” “Great” replied Dr. Storm.

Page 5

Dr. Storm had a knot in her stomach…she was dreading delivering the bad news that the mom had died”. She expected to meet an anxious older dad type, or a jean and t-shirt clad young man. She was not prepared to meet the handsome calm cool collected young man in a blue suit that was waiting for her.

“ Hello I am Dr. Jayne Storm, I hear you are inquiring about a young Jane Doe who came in earlier?” “ Yes my name is Jordon “ They shook hands. “She is 20 years old and has long auburn hair freckles.” Dr. Storm’s heart sank as she realized she would have to tell this young man she had died in childbirth. “Please come with me,” she said as she directed him to her office.

Jordon’s expression was unreadable as he took in everything that Dr. Storm had told him about the events leading up to her death. “I am so sorry …we did everything we could.” “ I will need you to come down to the morgue to identify her…are you feeling up to do that? “Yes of course” said Jordon sombrely. Dr. Storm needed to find out what his relationship was with the girl, for the files, and for her own curiosity, she felt she must guard the girl…. even in death. “May I ask what your relationship was with…. we don’t know her name, she would not tell us ”Dr. Storm was on guard, as the girl must have had a reason for not giving her name She obviously felt she was in some kind of danger. If the girl did not trust anyone, then she was going to be careful as well. They stepped out of the elevator, Jordon extending his hand for Dr. Storm to go ahead of him, in chivalrous gesture and they continued down the hall to the morgue doors. “Her name was Sadie …Sadie St Cloud. “She was….Family”.

Page 6

Once in the morgue Dr. Storm nodded to the morgue attendant to lift the stark white sheet. Again Jordon’s face was unreadable….”that is Sadie,” he said not lifting his eyes from the beautiful frozen face, His back to Dr. Storm.

After an appropriate quiet moment, she asked, “Would you like to see the baby?” Jordon straightened himself up; “yes” He said his voice horse. His head was down but she could tell his eyes where damp. The attendant handed him a plastic bag, which contained her possessions.

A small handbag with the usual items lip gloss, a small amount of money, tissues and a strange key.

After Jordon observed Morrisette, he told Dr. Storm he would go make the necessary arrangements and after Dr. Storm expressed her condolences once again for Sadie. Jordon thanked Dr. Storm for all she had done and he left the hospital.

Page 7

Dr. Storm walked up the steps of her beloved handsome brownstone in the weak light of the early hours. It had white picket fence and great weeping willows on either side of the entrance welcoming anyone who came. It had four units. One of course was for her…the other three she rented out. One she rented out to Betty. She walked in to her home…turned on a soft light and poured herself a glass of orange brandy and sank into her favourite oversized comfy chair. She lived alone, being so focused on her career, a husband and family never occurred for her. Of course she had had her share of suitors…but she just felt she could not devote the time a serious relationship deserved. So she was married to her work. She had no siblings … her parents had died in a car accident when she was in university. She found solace in her work, knowing that she helped many people. However she still could not deny the urge to have a family, but being forty and advancing in her career she pushed that dream aside. She sipped her brand, and she thought about Sadie and Morrisette and Jordon. She tried to process everything that had happened that night. So many questions unanswered. She wanted to know more about Sadie…more about Jordon…What events had led to this point. Her mind became a muddle of questions. Turning everything over and over in her mind, finally yawning she decided to go to bed and see what the next day would bring.

The next morning Jayne sat stunned with coffee in her hand as she read an e-mail she had received.

Page 8









Doctor Storm

The baby that was born last night is in great danger! I do not have time to explain. I must ask you to get her out of the hospital as soon as possible. A woman named Juda (a VERY dangerous woman) wants the baby and will destroy her. Be careful as you may be in great danger as well.



She had no idea who sent it to her. It was her day off but she decided she better go in and check on her.

Published 
Written by MioGirl
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments