StoriesSpace now blocked

last reply
10 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I just returned from my local library. While there I discovered that StoriesSpace is now blocked by their filters! Now I can understand explicit sites being blocked, but SS?

The reason given was "Profanity"! I complain to the librarian at the desk if profanity that was sufficient reason to block a web site content, then she had better get busy and remove a lot of books from the selves. I promptly left the library.

BTW the blocking software was provide by Education Network of America. (http://www.ena.com/) They are used by a lot of Indiana libraries and schools plus across the country.

Just thought I should mention this. SS may not be available any more at your local school or library.
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Lurker
0 likes
thank you for the information .. will check next time I peruse the library
0 likes
Well, must be an Indiana thing because I'm in my college library right now, and it isn't blocked at all. I could even access it every morning in high school too. Plus it does explicitly state that stories with profanity are 18+ or EC rating so I see no reason as to why it would be blocked.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
I am not sure if anyone has brought this up concerning this site being blocked. I have found that some places block the server the site is on. And if storiesspace.com shares a server with a site that is adult oriented, then it will be blocked as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you for advising about this.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you for advising about this.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I am assuming that ENA has several levels of security in their software. I would hazard to guess that my library has it set for the lowest level, that of a elementary school security. They are just protecting their backsides since they may not have the expertise to set it up to have individual security levels based on the terminal, it's use or it's location.

Still it was frustrating.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't really see why SS would be blocked? Lest it be its association with Lush? Which is unfounded as we all know to watch our P's and Q's here.
Lurker
0 likes
I can access it still from the library where I live.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I think I found what is going on. I returned to the library and everything was working fine. However,one of my friends profiles was blocked. Again for Profanity.

I checked their profile later at a different access and found the "F"-bomb in one of their story profiles. I am guessing that ENA software may not blocking the site, but will block a page if it contains, what it considers, questionable language.

I would imagine that different schools or libraries can customize their individual settings.

Just thought thought everyone should know.
Lurker
0 likes
Ah that explains much
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We do have many 18+ rated stories on the site. Unless the library has stations assigned by age they may block us out of concern of youngsters getting access to inappropriate material. I would not expect college libraries to block us for that reason. The library I have used has terminals for kids and terminals for adults. SS is blocked on the kid terminals but not the others.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.