Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.3k replies
406k views
17 watchers
955 likes
Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Have a little smooth music to enjoy with your coffee or tea, folks.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

๐Ÿ‘‘Magic Cookie FAIRY ๐Ÿช
0 likes

Hi peepswave

A large hot chocolate with mini marshmallows would be great.

Yesterday was a little busy and this morning was spent herding kittens.

Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top

Today's offerings are diabetic and gluten free friendly sugar cookies.... WINTER ANIMAL theme : Arctic fox , Arctic wolf ,polar bear, brown bear .seals and penguins

Giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats

Please stay safe everyoneheart

0 likes

Quote by DenimAngel

Hi peepswave

A large hot chocolate with mini marshmallows would be great.

Yesterday was a little busy and this morning was spent herding kittens.

Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top

Today's offerings are diabetic and gluten free friendly sugar cookies.... WINTER ANIMAL theme : Arctic fox , Arctic wolf ,polar bear, brown bear .seals and penguins

Giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats

Please stay safe everyoneheart

Like me and Henry, for example! Thanks, Sara!

And thanks for the GF treats, as always!

I'll take a couple of those, plus a mug of Red Rose tea, and find a comfy place to rest my weary bones a spell!

I'm reading the competition entries, and am coming to believe that it will be possible to finish out of the rankings โ€“ even if there are fewer than 10 entries! What great stories!

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Good morning all!

Well, last week was a waste, first the pukiness, then the fraud. Didn't write a lick (though I did submit a bunch of stuff). And while the next two months are gonna be hectic with house stuff, I am gonna get BACK ON THE HORSE today! A week off is enough for me!

Larry, tell Vanessa, I hope she is feeling better. We watched a slow burn horror movie this weekend that reminded me of her - I Trapped the Devil. Very 70s horror movie vibe.

Okay. Time to wake up. Coffee and a cookie would be swell.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

1 week until a mad man attacks my eye with a laser gun.๐Ÿ˜จ Or, well, an eye surgeon replaces the lens in my left eye.๐Ÿ˜€ Bye bye cataract. Right now, if I close my right eye, it's like looking through a fogged up window or a thick fog. Right eye will follow but the cataract there is not bad yet. I don't even notice it, but both my regular optometrist and the ophthalmologist doing the work say it is there.

I think I am close to submitting a comp entry. I like both stories I have going so just need to decide which will "sell" better. Hopefully tonight. Fear not, the other will follow once the comp is over. I am getting two stories out of this come hell or high water.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

0 likes

Hi folks wave

A large hot peppermint tea would be great.

I'm fighting a nasty cold I picked up somewhere.... I swear I can't go anywhere.

Taking my tea and climbing up in my favorite overstuffed blue chair in the corner and pulling the pretty throw blanket over my lap .

Woke up completely miserable. And had to cancel today's plans.

Peeking in the cookie jars we are in good shape.

Stay safe everyoneheart

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Brace yourselves. New ape story in the queue, and it's my comp entry.

Nervously nibbles a bear and a wolf

Hope you get better soon, Sara. Got more of my team at work laid up. One COVID, one not sure.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla
New ape story in the queue, and it's my comp entry.

Seven hours and your tale is not on show yet, Scott (I didn't know that apes had tales). But Molly and co are very prompt with comp stories and there's no sign of a vast queue. So since I'm hanging around within touching distance I might get to be one of the first to read it.

No hot water at this time. Can't we put a timer on the kettle? Anyway I'll compensate with a couple of Sara's great bear cookies. And please shake off that cold, Sandra. So out of character, you being miserable.

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Hey, there's always hot water. Hydro must have gone off.๐Ÿ˜Š

Coffee is on, there's Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast in the teapots, and hot water aplenty is waiting for other hot bevvies.

I think we are a bit short staffed right now. Molly and Gill are the only ones I have seen verifying of late and Gill is laid up at the moment. I imagine my story will show up sometime today.

0 likes

Hey Sara! I didn't think it was your turn to be sick! Cut it out, OK?

Seriously, hope you feel better soon, kiddo!

Meanwhile, I'll have a mug of the Earl Grey tea, and slump down in the corner, near โ€“ but not TOO near โ€“ Sara to offer some company.

Mandella, we'll all keep a lookout for your story! Yours tend to be very character-driven, so I'm looking forward to it!

0 likes

Can someone remind a poor old Bear how to change his signature? I used to know, but I'm having a Sometimer's moment!

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by JamesPBear

Can someone remind a poor old Bear how to change his signature? I used to know, but I'm having a Sometimer's moment!

On the main forum page, tap More and then Forum Settings.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have a question for you all which concerns the different spellings of words between British and American English.

In this case, I am referring to the word Brake.

Here in the UK, we have a brake pedal in our cars, and if we wish to stop quickly, we brake hard. If this was past tense, we would have braked hard. Once we have stopped, we apply the handbrake.

When I check this with Grammarly, it tries to tell me that the would is Break. This would change the meaning entirely, I don't want to damage my car, I just want it to stop.

(edit) So, the question is this. Is the word Break used in American/Canadian English instead of Brake, or is Grammarly just trying to ruin my car?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

0 likes

Quote by AnnaMayZing

I have a question for you all which concerns the different spellings of words between British and American English.

Here in the UK, we have a brake pedal in our cars, and if we wish to stop quickly, we brake hard. If this was past tense, we would have braked hard. Once we have stopped, we apply the handbrake.

When I check this with Grammarly, it tries to tell me that the would is Break. This would change the meaning entirely, I don't want to damage my car, I just want it to stop.

So, the question is this. Is the word Brake used in American/Canadian English or is Grammarly just trying to ruin my car?

Not in Canada. But then, Canadians have a weird habit of letting our spelling veer between 'Murcun, and English!

I suspect that Grammarly is just plain wrong, and when it's wrong, it seems to get VERY insistent, unlike polar bears, who are practically perfect, as well as being incredibly modest!

Hope that helps!

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

Quote by AnnaMayZing

So, the question is this. Is the word Brake used in American/Canadian English or is Grammarly just trying to ruin my car?

Not in Canada. But then, Canadians have a weird habit of letting our spelling veer between 'Murcun, and English!

I suspect that Grammarly is just plain wrong, and when it's wrong, it seems to get VERY insistent, unlike polar bears, who are practically perfect, as well as being incredibly modest!

Hope that helps!

Sorry, I should have said, is the word Break used in American/Canadian English instead of Brake?

0 likes

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Quote by JamesPBear

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Hope that helps!

Sorry, I should have said, is the word Break used in American/Canadian English instead of Brake?

Not to my knowledge, no. The brake on a car, whether foot or hand, is spelled as you have done it, not "break" as in to destroy.

However, according to Merriam-Webster (which is, I believe, American) "break" also means "to stop or bring to an end suddenly". Yet, the same entry also says "When the subject is slowing or stopping movement, the word to use is brake"

In summary, I believe Grammarly has made an ungrammarly mistake!

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Quote by JamesPBear

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Hope that helps!

Not to my knowledge, no. The brake on a car, whether foot or hand, is spelled as you have done it, not "break" as in to destroy.

However, according to Merriam-Webster (which is, I believe, American) "break" also means "to stop or bring to an end suddenly". Yet, the same entry also says "When the subject is slowing or stopping movement, the word to use is brake"

In summary, I believe Grammarly has made an ungrammarly mistake!

Thanks, JP. I have never come across this before. I think you are right, Grammarly is at fault here. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Story Moderator
0 likes

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Thanks, JP. I have never come across this before. I think you are right, Grammarly is at fault here. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I agree that Grammarly is at fault. I have never seen a car brake spelled break. Grammarly does get opionated at times.

Sarah, I hope you feel better soon.

It's a frigid cold winter night here and we are expecting some snow on Friday. It does make everything look perttier for a while. As long as the power stays on it can snow all it wants.

I hope everyone is doing well and for those that are not, I'm sending good vibes your way.

I'll scurry off with a few cookies and try to get some reading done.

Cheers!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Hey gang, how's life? Sunny and cold here but at least no new snow to shovel.

Some fine coffee is brewing and there's Red Rose and Wakoucha (Japanese Red/Black tea) in the tea pots. Hot water is boiling and there's plenty for all the other wonderful teas, cocoas, and whatever other hot beverage turns your crank. There's even instant soups and ramen for quick hot snacks.

Gooooood Morning!

(Oh, and check my sig for a new story if you haven't read it already)

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Started the comp stories last night. They are excellent so far. I think I've read about half.

Sitting in an empty house now, waiting for workers to show up. The next month is gonna be long and frustrating. I'll be spending most of my waking hours in an empty house. Sigh. I'm cutting today's goal in half, and am gonna try to get to 500 words. Trying to be a writer really is like having homework ALL THE TIME.

Okay. Gonna heat up some old pizza for lunch. Coffee and a cookie!!!

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

0 likes

500 words are like walking 100 miles to me. Impossible.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

It varies for me. Sometimes when I write, I can happily bash out a couple thousand words without even noticing how much I've done until I pause and check. Others, it's more like Al says: even 500 is an impossible challenge. Mood, other things happening, and so on all come into play.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Verbal, your writing goals are amazing to me! Very impressive! I'm just better suited to short scribbles.

Great comp entry, Scott. I'm hoping some others drop in while I'm on vacation. Would be nice to get as many as last comp at least. I'm leaving later for somewhere warmer. it hit 0 degrees here last night sad

Sara, I hope you feel better!

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl
I'm leaving later for somewhere warmer.

Enjoy. Normally, we'd probably be heading somewhere in February or March but with COVID still raging and me having my eyes done, it ain't happenin'.

I put on a fresh pot of joe and refilled the teapots with some late day teas. Jasmine Green in one and Lemon Ginger herbal in the other.

0 likes

Hi folks

A little bit chilly here in my neck of the woods.

Finally getting better .. ugh I don't like being sick. I'm staying away from people as much as possible.

That's the one thing I love about small towns.. good neighbors and friends who check on people who are sick and might need something.

Soon as I feel better there will be fresh cookies.. there are cookies in the cookie jars and when those run out there is a stockpile in the cookie tins behind the counter.

Taking a cup of peppermint tea and climbing up in my favorite overstuffed chair

Stay safe everyoneheart

0 likes

Quote by DenimAngel

Hi folks

Finally getting better .. ugh I don't like being sick. I'm staying away from people as much as possible.

That's the one thing I love about small towns.. good neighbors and friends who check on people who are sick and might need something.

Soon as I feel better there will be fresh cookies.. there are cookies in the cookie jars and when those run out there is a stockpile in the cookie tins behind the counter.

Stay safe everyoneheart

Hey, Polar Bears don't catch cold, so I'll sit with you Sara. Lemme get a mug of Lemon Zinger tea to warm the cockles. You get comfy โ€“ I'll be right there, OK?

0 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

Quote by DenimAngel

Hi folks

Stay safe everyoneheart

Hey, Polar Bears don't catch cold, so I'll sit with you Sara. Lemme get a mug of Lemon Zinger tea to warm the cockles. You get comfy โ€“ I'll be right there, OK?

Getting comfy in my chair giggles I'm waiting