Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.3k replies
408k views
17 watchers
969 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Here we are in this dead haven on April 4th. The big one! ----90!

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

And to celebrate both Red qualifying for patriarch status and this place being back up, we have two coffees on for today!!

We have a Costa Rican dark roast and a Nicaraguan medium. Take your pick!!

For teas, we'll have special Canadian Breakfast and Raspberry Royale.

And, in honour of Red's special day,

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by redwriter

Here we are in this dead haven on April 4th. The big one! ----90!

Ninety! That’s a big one. Congrats, Red. I’m honored to be part of your celebration.

We’re off to the eclipse tomorrow. Rain is in the forecast. I’m really glad I saw the one last year because the weather does not look like it will cooperate. Still, a good road trip, and we can visit my family’s gravesite, now that I am the last one standing.

Beautiful day here. My acupuncture session seems to have done some good with my neurological issues, which is a wonderful thing.

METS DOUBLE HEADER TODAY. (Sorry, Red.) (And sorry for shouting.)

I’d love coffee.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
METS DOUBLE HEADER TODAY.

So two chances to see them lose? 🤣 (Sorry not sorry. Maybe they're good this year?)

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

The deep sense of relief I feel whenever I listen to Tommy is unreal.

It's a bit like coming home after a long, stressful day, honestly.

My heart has wi-fi and the password is Drew Carey.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Hey everyone.

Happy Birthday, Red! I hope you're having a wonderful day! 🎂🥳🎉

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day.

Splendor

Dream On competition; dream, imagine, peace

Crazy old ape
0 likes

I am having a good day. Beautiful is a bit of a stretch given the dang weather can't make up its mind.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Oh god. I really, really need to stop joking about being attracted to classic rockstars cause I keep forgetting that one day it might not be a joke.

Story Moderator
0 likes

Red, I hope you had a lovely birthday.

It's been a wild weather week. Yesterday, we had thunderstorms and hail, but today was sunny and cool. Warmer weather is the story for next week. This weekend, we'll be working on our yard. It's slowly coming into shape.

TGIF, have a great day, everyone. Cheers.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Thank you all for your good wishes. The day went well, highlighted by my niece's three children making it noisy enough to make me feel so young. BUT tonight is the real family party at a recommended Italian restaurant--and you are all invited!! Provided you stay sober. I guess you'll be away at the eclipse, Verbal.. Still, we can expect a detail account of the proceedings!

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

We are off! See you on the other side of the eclipse. Forecast is for cloudy skies, so pray for a patch of blue sky for us. I'm pumped for a road trip, so we'll have fun regardless.

Elyse, you were kidding about crushing on Tom Petty!? I'm so disappointed....

Hey, Red, glad you had a good day. Enjoy your Italian dinner.

Have fun in the yard Gill.

A LOT of coffee please.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by verbal

Elyse, you were kidding about crushing on Tom Petty!? I'm so disappointed....

No, not Tommy, never Tommy. More like I was kidding about George Harrison at first...but now it's not a joke whoops.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

Hi folks It's been a busy week.

Happy belated birthday Red !!. Enjoy the Italian dinner with familysmile

Jeff enjoy the eclipse.

Braves are playing pretty good with some hiccups and early injuries

Laundry today and preparing for a trip on Tuesday to St George Utah

Today's cookies are ... sun ,moon ,stars ,and planets in honor of the upcoming eclipse.

moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter

Got the coffee and tea going ... coffee is Cafe du Monde dark roast and the teas are red rose and Earl Grey. Other teas are in the tea chest .. hot chocolate is in its treasure chest . ..all the creams and sugars lemons and marshmallows are in their containers

Ape might want to put in a order we are down to 5 cases ...... surprised

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Hey everyone.

Red, I'm so glad you enjoyed your birthday yesterday. I hope you have a lovely time at dinner tonight.

I'm almost finished reading my book which has been a challenge for me. I hope to finish it tomorrow. The suspense story I was thinking of turned into a possible, probable, series. It's still in my head. I think I'm writing it out in my imagination and hopefully soon the story will be put into words. I already have another idea for a following story if I end up making the story a series. I'm not sure I'm going to write a memoir about my epilepsy so that's on hold for the moment.

I'm currently still celebrating Easter. Every year, there's an Octave for eight days after Easter. There's also an Octave for Christmas and Pentecost, when the Apostles received the gift of the Holy Spirit. I appreciate and thank you for being accepting and open whenever I share things about my faith.

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day.

Splendor

Carey’d away.
0 likes

I'm not sure if this'll make any sense to anyone other than me, but I really, really love the way Tommy's voice starts to fade into an echo at the end of every song.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

"It was a night, oh, what a night it was, it really was, Such a night (with apologies to the late Johnny Ray).

But it was so lively--what with the pasta, the pizzas and over 20 garrulous family members from young to very old. I had suggested that I was too old for any presents, but magically, bottles of single malt and a large packet of mixed licorice (which is another one of my other weaknesses) turned up. My oldest son gifted me a baseball cap bearing the logo,

"Not everyone looks THIS GOOD at 90", and coincidentally, without any prior awareness bought me a mug bearing exactly the same logo. Much reminiscing and small talk and two younger nephews asked what it was like in the war when I was their age. After horrifying them with the tale of being evacuated at age 6/7 I went on to reveal that after being taken home I began enjoying the war --tolding them of collecting shrapnel on the day after an air raid, store in shell fragments in a shoe box. So enjoyed their amazement!

All together a delightful night of fun and memories.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Oh wow, you really have some stories to tell the younger generations, eh. My family is weirdly low on war stories but it's all date-related plus being in Canada rather than the UK. Grandad (Dad's father) was too young for WWI and by WWII was an ordained minister so his war service was limited to chaplaincy at a training base near his church. My Mom's father was similarly too young in WWI and a teacher by WWII. Parents were both born in the thirties so too young for WWII. I had one great uncle who went to the UK but was a military engineer working on the Mulberry mobile harbours used for D-Day so stayed in the UK.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Good morning and happy weekend!!

Throwing on some dark roast coffee for the Saturday crowd. Teas are English Breakfast and Raspberry Royale. Washed the pitchers and put in fresh lemonade and iced tea. Hot water is read for other teas and hot chocolate. Heck, there's even ramen and instant soups if you're a mite peckish.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Y'all, if you're going to listen to Georgie's solo work, do yourself a favor and skip him's first album - unless you actually like sitar music, that is.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

"Evening all!"

Just thought I'd drop in, having spotted you discussing war memories. I was too late for the war, but my Mum and Dad both did their bit. My Mum was 15 at the start, but by 1945, she had done clerical work in offices in London and also did her bit, building Lancaster Bomber parts in Croyden.

My Dad, however, was ten years older (they met in 1949). He was an Aircraft Engine Mechanic in the Royal Air Force. He volunteered in 1940 and spent the Battle of Britain servicing Bristol Beaufighter Night Fighters at Middle Wallop in Hampshire. In 1941, he was posted to Egypt, where he remained until the war's end.

My Mum always talked about the places she worked but never mentioned anything about the air raids. I can only guess that she was never directly affected by them. I also don't think my Dad had too bad a time in Egypt, having spent his entire career behind the lines. I am aware, however, that he was involved in recovering damaged aircraft from the desert. He passed away in 1983, aged just 68. My mum, on the other hand, kept going until 2019, aged 95.

I served in the RAF as a Gas Turbine Technician, from 1979 to 1988. I didn't intentionally follow in my father's footsteps but, who knows, maybe subconsciously...?

I know this snippet was uninvited, but I hope you find it interesting nonetheless.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

It certainly appeals to me, Anna. And your snippets quite obviously come from wartime tales you were open to.

BTW Surely snippets don't need to be invited, and I'll wager you have a number of snippets that would be interesting. Thank you for the good wishes, Sarah, belated doesn't blank out the kind thoughts. I just fancy a couple of your star cookies now to go with a latte.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

You guys should start a WWII memory/snippets thread. It would be read with much enthusiasm.

We’re in Oklahoma (or as a an old girlfriend called it, Oh Glaucoma). Sunny here now. Storms roll in tomorrow but the forecast is improving - I am optimistic we will see the eclipse.

Today we are going to a little country church and a tiny graveyard on a hill covered in wildflowers and wild grass. One of my favorite places on the entire Earth. I’ll be there one day myself.

I hope everyone is well. Coffee for two please.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Sorry I wasn't around this morning. Busy. Housecleaning and then the wife and I went out for lunch. Stuffed up at a buffet so we don't have to have much for dinner.

Throwing on a pot of PC Gourmet West Coast Dark Roast. Some Earl Grey tea and Sencha (Japanese Green tea) in the teapots. Hot water is ready for other goodies.

Just had a curve thrown at one of the stories I have been pursuing. Apparently the direction I was thinking of going with the plot has been done on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So I do I hunt up that episode both for inspiration and to make sure I don't redo what has already been done better? Change gears, which I can easily do since this one has been on hold while I work on the other one? Just forge ahead and hope I'm not inadvertently reinventing Buffy's wheel?

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Wow, that was something else. We had 99% partial eclipse here and it was so freaky having it get dark and cool in the mid-afternoon like that. Wonder how Verbal's eclipse watching went.

Here's some coffee, though it's a bit late. Appropriately, I am using a dark roast. For teas, I'll put out sencha (japanese green) and Canadian blueberry (herbal).

And some eclipse music to celebrate today's events. "Sleeping Sun" was written by Nightwish keyboardist-songwriter Tuomas Holopainen for a total eclipse that was visible in their native Finland in 1999.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Good morning! Sunny when I came in but going downhill from there with a chance of shower or thunderstorms in the evening.

In keeping with my forecast, we have Mountain Thunder coffee from the Kona region of Hawaii. Teas are Raspberry Royale and Red Rose Orange Pekoe. Hot water is ready for other goodies, though hot chocolate season seems to be coming to a close.

No celestial weirdness today, so we'll have to make our own excitement. Later, alligators.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Hey everyone. Red, I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday dinner with your family. Thank you for sharing a bit of it with us. Mendella, I'm glad you enjoyed the eclipse.

This past Saturday I had a bad seizure in my leg and I fell, hitting the kitchen tile face first. I was in a terrible amount of pain and am still sporting a swollen black eye. I had a couple rough days and here I am. It still hurts to chew or touch the surrounding area. I've been resting mostly. I think I'm going to take a short break from SS. Who knows? I'll be back tomorrow. I just wanted to keep you all in the loop.

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day. ❤️

Splendor

Carey’d away.
0 likes

I've just submitted a new poem to the site. Fingers crossed that it gets approved.

Story Moderator
0 likes

Cora, I hope you are resting and recovering.

It was eighty degrees here today—another good day to do some yard work in between my other responsibilities. I also made ham and gruyere scones with leftover ham. They turned out well. I'll have some lemonade and do some reading. Have a good week, everyone. Cheers!