Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.2k replies
405k views
17 watchers
951 likes
Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Roger McGuinn

Roger would actually have made a good Wilbury. Right style of music, bit of a sense of humour, well-connected in the industry so some of them would already have known him.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Yesterday I was having a rough day but as soon as I put on Tommy, I felt a lot better. Something about him's music soothes me in ways I can't explain - but I have to be careful, too, cause Pettyparalysis is a very real thing.

My heart has wi-fi and the password is Drew Carey.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Roger would actually have made a good Wilbury. Right style of music, bit of a sense of humour, well-connected in the industry so some of them would already have known him.

My Back Pages. Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton & George Harrison. I was there!

I was so much older then, I'm younger then than now.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal

My Back Pages. Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton & George Harrison. I was there!

I was so much older then, I'm younger then than now.

I have seen that performance before. Amazing. I love the song and the performance is just perfect.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Gooooood morning on Good Friday!

Sunny here but cool (8C high) so early Spring weather as it should be. I hear Alberta is getting kicked hard by some lingering gasps of Winter, though.

It's a long weekend so I'll fire things up and see if anyone is around.

Coffee is Tobermory Flowerpot Island. Teas are Original Earl Grey and English Breakfast. Fresh pitchers of lemonade and iced tea are in the fridge and the hot chocolate and marshmallows are stocked up.

See ya' round.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Busy day today! Watching the Mets game while I pack for Denver and the Mike Birbiglia concert (he's very funny, you should check him out on Netflix). We'll leave an hour or so after the game.

And next week...the ECLIPSE!!!

Top of the first, no score. Double play, the Mets are out of the inning!

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

Morning folks

A quick stop

Coffee is a local brand ...vicious horse . Teas are lemon zinger and red rose

Cookies are in bunny cookie jar ... diabetic friendlyand gluten free and no nuts

Easter themed cookies: bunnies , chicks .lambs , carrots ,eggs and tulips

giving the adorable critters fresh water and bunny treats

Tea and lemonade are fresh and sodas are cold .. all the cream ,sugars and marshmallows have been restocked in their containers on the counter

Have a great day !!!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Hey, it's Sara! How's things? Any progress on the new Scamp stories?

Good afternoon. A bit grey here but we didn't get the showers the forecast was threatening (yet, anyhow).

Ever had part of a story all worked out in your head including where it might take the story as whole, then written something quite different when you actually sat down to write? I mean, seriously, it's like my fingers and my brain are fighting over where to go with it. Will maybe say more in a thread in Tips, Trouble, and Technique.

Story Moderator
0 likes

Jeff, I love Mike Birbiglia. We saw him in person a few years ago. Recently we saw Tom Papa in person. He has a couple of specials on Netflix and he is very funny as well.

Doing some spring cleaning here, power washing our deck, house, windows, etc. Trying to spruce up for the upcoming wedding.

Also tried my hand at making some pistachio butter since it is a product that's ridiculously expensive. It's a good thing to use in different recipes or just to spread on toast because I'm not a fan of peanut butter. You need a pretty heavy duty food processor to get it done. It takes a while so you have to let that machine rest and cool down. But much more cost effective, especially with pistachios were on sale.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Cheers!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by gillianleeza
pistachio butter

Hmm. I like pistachios (got a bag in the cupboard for snacking) but never come across pistachio butter before. Interesting. I actually use peanut butter as dip since I have cereal for breakfast most days.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

...well, I'm officially in classic rockstar loving hell - and I love it. Why is it always the dimples?

(And no, this isn't about Tommy, or at least not just about him.)

Crazy old ape
1 like

Oh boy, watch out rock stars. 😉

Good morning! Kind of mixed day here. Cloudy but it's light cloud and supposed to be a mix of sun and cloud. A bit warmer, too.

Coffee pot is filled up with some Nicaraguan dark roast. Teas are Black Currant and Assam, with others available. Hot water is ready for those other teas and hot chocolate.

And Happy Easter!!!

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Oh boy, watch out rock stars. 😉

Yeah...I think I fell for David Bowie without really realizing it. Like, I keep liking/following every page I can find and...yeah.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

Happy Easter everyonesmile

moving yesterday's cookies to the bunny tins behind the counter

Cookies are here : bunnies butts and faces ,baskets, carrots,chicks,and eggs that say happy Easter..*putting them on the eastern platter and filling the cookie jar with fresh cookies *

There is Easter baskets on the counter filled with goodies for everyone:)

giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats

Pouring a large hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and climbing up in my favorite overstuffed chair

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by JustAnotherSapphic
I think I fell for David Bowie without really realizing it.

At least you have good taste in rock stars. 😋

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

At least you have good taste in rock stars. 😋

Well, there is that. I can thank Drew for that cause him is teaching me well. Today, I'm being Petty though.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by JustAnotherSapphic

Yeah...I think I fell for David Bowie without really realizing it. Like, I keep liking/following every page I can find and...yeah.

Anyone alive who doesn’t host at least a tiny crush on David Bowie has a heart of stone.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

And here comes April---and this must be one of those famous showers we're having now, only they arrive more often!. So now we awaited the milestone that is the 4th!!

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal

Anyone alive who doesn’t host at least a tiny crush on David Bowie has a heart of stone.

I admire him as a songwriter and performer and have for a very long time but not sure I'd say I ever crushed on him, even being somewhat bi.

Good morning! Lovely day here with a week to go until a dragon eats the sun. We only get a partial where I am and I haven't seen a forecast that far out yet. This being Spring in Ontario, it's probably 50-50 at best as to whether we'll see anything.

Coffee is Deathwish Dark. Teas are English Breakfast and Duke of Earl (Vanilla Earl Grey). Kettle is boiled for other teas and hot chocolate.

Later, alligators.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Morning everyone.

Slept well, and it’s a beautiful day out.

Slowly preparing for the drive east to the eclipse. We’re getting a little worried by all the hubbub about crowds - there are some counties in Texas declaring themselves disaster areas because they are expecting so many people. We’re going to rural Oklahoma, but still. Worrying.

Today, though, same ol thang. Write, walk, baseball, repeat.

The Mets have yet to win a game. Sigh.

Seize the carp!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
there are some counties in Texas declaring themselves disaster areas because they are expecting so many people.

Niagara Region here in Ontario did that. They are a huge tourist area already (Niagara Falls, the Niagara wine belt) so you'd think they'd be more up for it than some places. A bit of Eastern Ontario is near the path of totality, too (actually, including where you crossed the border in Continental Drift I think), but I have not heard anything from out there yet.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by verbal

That's not wrong. At the same time, though, that's also how I feel about Drew and Tommy.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Did you know film director Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code, World of Warcraft) is Bowie's son, once known as Zowie Bowie (it's actually his second given name)?

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Oh wow. I kinda just know him as Zowie Bowie though, not Duncan Jones. I'm not sure why or how that works though.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

April showers, bring May flowers... is sometimes more an expression of hope than fact but whatever. It's April and I am getting showers.

Good morning! There a pot of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee ready if that's your thing. Teas are Russian Caravan and Irish Breakfast with an urn of hot water out for making other teas from our collection as well as hot chocolate. Washed and refilled the cold drink pitchers so there's fresh lemonade and iced tea. Sugar, cream, non-dairy creamer and whatever else is available.

Here's one for you writer-ly types:

So I'm writing a story about a young woman experiencing a dramatic change in her life circumstances. She was abandoned as a baby, raised in foster care, now living hand-to-mouth on part-time work while trying to do a degree. Then she inherits a big house and a chunk of money from the mother who originally abandoned her and then later married a wealthy local businessman.

Do I start with her living in her new house and trying to sort out this new life, and then tell the story of how she got there in flashback? Or do I tell the whole story from the start with her as an impoverished student and then dealing with the revelation that she's inheriting this wealth? Current draft does the latter.

Also not sure where this ends up. I've thought of everything from a romance/rivalry with another possible heir to a ghost story about the deceased family returning to haunt the house.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I like the flashback approach, Ape. Start at the house.

And I frikkin LOVE the movie Moon. Didn't know a Bowie made that.

The Mets are winless. It's getting depressing.

Off to the acupuncturist! Gonna let them stick needles into my brain! I am expecting almost nothing, but I am open to whatever happens. We'll see. At least it'll give me something to write about.

Hope everyone is well. I didn't sleep well, so coffee would be swell.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Hey everyone.

Mendella, I agree with verbal. I think the flashback approach is more intriguing.

Red, April 4th has come to mind every now and then. I hope you're excited.

It's been raining all day. I've been reading and am almost finished with my book.

I hope you all have a lovely evening.

Splendor

Dream On competition; dream, imagine, peace

Story Moderator
0 likes

Flashbacks can be effective, so I'll also throw my two cents in.

It's about a month until my son's backyard wedding/garden party, and I am officially stressing myself out. I thought we would be further along getting our backyard into shape, but our bout with COVID wrecked those plans. I am trying to get into the mindset that what we do is enough and not to make myself crazy. It doesn't help that there are a few personal issues with a family member who is not invited; it's a very long story, but I am caught in the middle. The constant rain we have been having is not helping either. It's supposed to warm up and be nice next weekend and all next week, so hopefully, we'll get more done.

I hope everyone is having a good week. Cheers.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Random thought---flashback for this particular tale needs a vivid trigger to provoke the recall. Then moving from the lavish, back to the impoverished , needs to avoid being too maudlin, and handling her sudden rise to wealth could run the risk of coincidence. Perhaps a short prologue setting the scene before the involvement of the main character. A sort of double flashback. There will be a small fee for any future advice! 😇

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Cora
April 4th has come to mind every now and then. I hope you're excited.

So typical of you to remember, Cora. Excited? Relieved at getting this far is nearer the mark---don't want to risk another stroke. But I do appreciate your sentiments.