How Do You Feel?

last reply
13 replies
5.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Now we have our first stories posted on site, it's a good time to ask how you feel as a writer when you put your work out there to be read by others.

Does it take you a while to build the courage or do you have nerves of steel and are not put off at all by the idea?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
As my name suggests, the idea of posting a story is nerve-wracking for me. I'll get there though...eventually!
Lurker
0 likes
It doesn't bother me too much anymore. I used to struggle with the idea of having other people give feedback on my stories, but now I look forward to it.
Lurker
0 likes
I love the idea of other people reading my stories. I only hope they like them, if not their constructive criticism (fingers crossed) can only make me a better writer.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm nervous. I just submitted my first story and decided to do a flash fiction. I didn't think it would be that hard to tell a complete story in less than 1000 words. I was wrong. I had to cut so much out of it, I now wonder if I did the right thing.

Now it's just a case of sitting back and waiting to see how I went. Hopefully the nerves won't be as bad with the next story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shelley
I'm nervous. I just submitted my first story and decided to do a flash fiction. I didn't think it would be that hard to tell a complete story in less than 1000 words. I was wrong. I had to cut so much out of it, I now wonder if I did the right thing.

Now it's just a case of sitting back and waiting to see how I went. Hopefully the nerves won't be as bad with the next story.

I thought you did well to contain the story within that amount of words. Flash fiction's a great way to figure out what's necessary to the story and what's not. You managed to create just the right mood and round out the characters within a short piece of writing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
Now we have our first stories posted on site, it's a good time to ask how you feel as a writer when you put your work out there to be read by others.

Does it take you a while to build the courage or do you have nerves of steel and are not put off at all by the idea?

I get full nerves every single time. But I'm always eager to post as soon as I finish something. I've never delayed submitting a story just because I was nervous about it. When in doubt, a few drinks always help to ease the anxiety...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ashleigh
Quote by Lisa

I get full nerves every single time. But I'm always eager to post as soon as I finish something. I've never delayed submitting a story just because I was nervous about it. When in doubt, a few drinks always help to ease the anxiety...

Years ago when I submitted my first ever story online, I was so nevous that I did the liquid courage thing before finally hitting the submit button. I got several comments shortly afterwrds and started telling those people I loved them and that they "rocked".

It's important to know when to stop!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I get so nervous about putting my work out there that I have a hard time even finishing a story. I have several started but none finished. One fine day I'll get there.
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I really enjoy it. I just like being proud enough of something I did to make it public. If others don't like it, that's almost beside the point. If it's out there, it means I'm proud of it.
Lurker
0 likes
The very first time I ever shared one of my poems it scared the hell out of me to post it but the first time someone commented on it I found it to be a great rush. Now it doesn't bother me so much to post stuff, a real story that's another thing. I am working on that as we speak and though I have showed it to a few people and they liked what I got it still scares me to post it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I get more scared getting in a lift or driving long-distance on a motorway haha.

I really enjoy posting stories and poems, I get very excited that somebody will read my thoughts that I've put into words.
Nerves arn't a part of posting stories and poems for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My first published 'normal' prose type story- I was very nervous. I guess I was a bit scared that people wouldn't like my 'voice' as a writer. but life is too short to let being scared of something put you off it. The poetry I used to to be petrified of posting because each poem is extremely personal to me. They come from an emotional place.
New Poem out

The Observer
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a bit nervous about the feedback, but I welcome it, only if it'll help me better my writing.

www.szadventures.com

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i rarely feel nervous about it, at least not anymore. i think it helps that i know and respect some of you and i know i will be gently treated even if i suck. that said, i am confident enough that i DON'T suck to not be too nervous. now, if i was handing something in to be published, i'd be a wreck i'm thinking. i LIKE writing and sharing what i write makes me kind of happy. smile
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I rarely feel nervous about posting, usually get a bit exited about it...curious to the response, and almost always post a story before I've actually read it myself...
Fortunately, there is an editing period...
There have only been a couple of stories I've really been nervous about, the one in particular that comes to mind is "Love Conquers All"...you may have read it under a different title...I was a bit apprehensive about that one, even finishing it...I started writing it in Oct. 09 and didn't go back and finish it until Feb. '10...
But, it turned out to be my most popular story in terms of feedback, especially PM's and e-mails...so, you never know...
I can understand Louise's point about the poems...well, sometimes for me...there are a few I'm putting off posting here...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...