Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Phantom Wars Chapter 18

"It's Christmas at the mansion."

0
0 Comments 0
1.1k Views 1.1k
2.7k words 2.7k words
Chapter Eighteen: Christmas

On Christmas day the mansion was transformed in a spectrum of colors that rose from the ground and covered the walls, ceiling and everything inside the mansion. Everything these colors of light washed over transformed its surface into something new entirely.

The monotone walls changed into vibrant hues of red and green. Sparkling ornaments on diamond strings hung from the ceilings. And massive beautifully decorated pine trees manifested themselves in the center of each lobby.

Only the lobbies of floors 90-99 didn’t have a massive tree in their center. Instead these floors got massive oval ice rinks covering a majority of the ground and exquisite angel statues placed evenly through the lobby. Phantoms from all around the mansion gathered on these ice floors with their skates and danced around while a strange melody of joy played through the air.

Ethan was absolutely bedazzled by the sights of it all that he couldn’t stop smiling. A magic he hadn’t known since he was a child filled the air that day.

Soon enough Ethan rushed back to his room to grab Picario and have him join in ice skating as well as tell him where to find some ice skates. But as Ethan got to their room he saw Picario dressed in warm clothes shutting the door to the room behind him.

“Picario what’s with the outfit, going for a snowball fight?” Ethan asked as he approached him.

Picario hardly glanced at Ethan as he said, “huh? Oh, no I’ve got something to do today outside the mansion, I don’t expect I will be back for a while so merry Christmas and enjoy the festivities here.” Then Picario walked passed Ethan without even a second look or anything more.

“Alright uhh merry Christmas to you too buddy.” Ethan said to Picario as he continued walking away down the hall.

“Oh and by the way I here Tilly has free Christmas treats for everyone at her shop so you might want to check that out before they’re all gone.” Picario called back before pulling out his amber crystal and teleporting away.

Ethan thought to himself that Picario was way out of his normal self. That couldn’t be good. So he pulled out his amber crystal too and teleported to floor 1. When he got there Ethan had to run after Picario before he shut the door to the outside and Ethan would be sent to his own neighborhood next time he opened it.

Shrouded by his magic Ethan followed Picario through the snow covered streets of New York ; except this time they weren’t surrounded by skyscrapers. In fact this particular area Picario was walking down was a suburban neighborhood much like his own.

Picario stopped at a house on the end of the street paused briefly then walked right through its walls to the inside. Ethan, still puzzled by his friend’s actions studied the house carefully. It was an average sized house but was filled with over the top Christmas decorations. Lights covered the entire front of the house, there was a sleigh with reindeer on the roof, and the walkway had a line of white glowing snowmen.

The house seemed no different than the many others this time of year and Ethan still had no idea why his friend went in there. He then turned invisible once more and approached the front window starring into the house looking for his friend.

Picario stood at the corner of a room his arms folded, smiling a sad smile as he watched a large family sit around their Christmas tree; opening presents. From time to time Picario would laugh lightly or lift his hand to wipe the tears from his eyes but other than that he stood motionless watching them.

“That’s his family in there.” A voice called out behind Ethan.

Ethan turned around surprised like he was caught spying on someone; which in fact he was. Behind him was Kelly in a red and green sweater and pants combo outfit. She approached the window next to Ethan and continued talking. “Do you see that older man in the sofa near the back?” She asked.

“Yes why?” Ethan asked.

“That’s Picario’s brother, Tom. And those little children playing with their new toys, they are his great niece and nephew.”

“Picario told me about his family but I didn’t know that any of them were still alive, at least not his direct family members.”

“It’s just his brother now, his parents died many years ago from old age. His sister passed away from age as well only a few years back. Now Tom is all that’s left of his former life and who knows how long he has.

To tell you the truth Picario has been coming here for every major holiday since I’ve known him. I’m always dragging him back to the mansion but I don’t know why he tortures himself like this. I had hoped with you two becoming the great friends you are that maybe this year would be different but here I am once more.”

Ethan turned and faced Kelly now. “How about you and your family?” He asked.

Kelly kept starring inside the house as she said, “No, I’m an only child remember. And my parents died when I was still alive. How about you, did you want to visit your family today too?”

“I only have my mom and if I went to see her I would probably try to do something stupid like try and talk to her, which would probably do more harm than good. No I need her to move on and continue life, and I need to move on as well and put that life behind me completely.”

Ethan then turned away from the window and stood in the yard looking down the road at nothing. Kelly came up to him wrapped her arm around his and leaned into his shoulder then said, “Merry Christmas Ethan.”

“Marry Christmas Kelly.” Ethan said.

The two of them waited together outside until Picario finally came out. The sun was setting and the both of them greeted him with a smile. Picario expected to see Kelly but was shocked to see Ethan as well.

Before he could say anything Ethan said, “Picario before you ay anything just listen to me. I know what you’re going through, and why you want to see your family but that life is behind you and you got to move on. Because they have and I know it hurts but you have a new family now; us. And instead of torturing yourself with memories from the past how about enjoy yourself by forging new memories from the present.”

Picario said nothing while Ethan spoke and when he finished Ethan thought he was going to yell at him for what he said. However Picario with tears streaming down his eyes ran up to Ethan and Kelly and hugged the both. Ethan and Kelly hugged him back and they set off back to the mansion.

Upon their return to the mansion Ethan bought some ice skates from the temporary holiday supplies shop and the three of them went ice skating. Gradually they let the holiday spirit fill their hearts up and bring a smile back to their faces as they enjoyed all the festivities the mansion had to offer this time of year.

When they had done just about all they could do Ethan said, “Picario me and Kelly are going to go to Tilly’s while she still does the holiday specials. I don’t expect you to join us but if you could even for a few minutes it would be nice.”

When Picario didn’t respond to him for several seconds of waiting Ethan smiled and said, “Maybe next time.” Then he turned to Kelly and asked, “You ready?”

She pulled out her amber crystal in response and the two teleported away.

Kelly and Ethan went straight to Tilly’s shop to find it was crowded more than usual; which was to be expected. Fortunately the shop was simply massive and finding a table wasn’t too hard, just took some time. Ethan grabbed a table for four incase Picario showed up.

After Ethan and Kelly left Picario returned to his room and was greeted by Nessie. Strangely enough though Nessie was practically pushing Picario right back out the door; like she could read his mind and knew he wanted to go to Tilly’s shop. Eventually Picario gave up struggling with Nessie and left the room to go to the shop.

Picario stood outside of Tilly’s sweets shop repeating the same thing to himself over and over: “Forge new memories from the present.”

After the ninth time of repeating himself, Picario finally walked into the shop for the second time ever. It was crowded and Picario had to shove people out of his way looking around for Ethan and Kelly. Finally he found them at a table booth for four people, they had some green milkshakes and a platter of tree, snowmen, and star shaped treats. Picario took a seat next to Kelly and helped himself to the treats.

The three of them sat around enjoying the holiday treats and there table quickly filled up with empty milkshake glasses on trays with cookie and cake crumbs all over it. It wasn’t long until Ethan realized something was missing. He got up and Kelly asked, “Hey where you going?”

“I have one last person who I feel should join us, I will be back with her shortly.”

Then Ethan left; rushing out of the shop. The moment he stepped foot into the corridor he teleported to floor 99, rushed down to room 12 and knocked several times on the door. It was only a moment later when Marry opened it up. She was pleasantly surprised to see him.

“Ethan, this is a nice surprise, but why the visit?” Marry asked.

“Are you busy right now?” Ethan asked.

“Not too much so why?”

“Because it’s Christmas and I don’t believe you should be alone today. We’re having treats at Tilly’s and I want you to join us.”

Marry frowned and asked, “By we are, you mean?”

“My friends and I,” Ethan said.

“I’m sorry Ethan but I do not celebrate this holiday. But thank you for coming by.” Marry then went to shut the door but Ethan put his hand on it and stopped her.

“Marry, from what you told me you want to be friends right? Well this is what friends do they hang out with each other. Even if you don’t celebrate the holiday it’s about being together with those that matter. So please don’t make me regret coming here for you.”

Marry looked back to her empty study, she was already halfway through her book which she just started reading that morning. She looked back at Ethan who appeared ready to go in the next five seconds with or with out her. She extended her hand towards the fire place and with a small bit of her will sent a gust of wind at it and extinguished the fire. “Alright,” She said. “Let’s go.

Back at Tilly’s shop Ethan and Kelly were having a small pie eating contest when Ethan showed up with Marry. Neither of them looked up as Ethan and Marry sat down across from them. “By god my friends have been replaced with animals.” Ethan said ominously.

When the two of them finished stuffing their faces they wiped the pie that was mostly around their mouths with some paper towels. Ethan introduced them to Marry and they greeted her kindly. Marry sat there awkwardly and waved her hand a little and shyly said, “Hello.”

Ethan began to wonder if this was the same girl he met recently by the way she was acting.

The four of them ordered some hot coco and marshmallows next. Marry starred at her coco and marshmallows with her hands on her lap when Ethan told her to put the marshmallows in her coco and wait for it to cool down a little. She did as he instructed then waited.

When her coco was cooled enough she took a small sip of it. It was the most amazingly delicious thing she had ever tasted. She then lifted her head back and started chugging the hot chocolate down.

Everyone starred at her blankly as she finished off the hot chocolate in three seconds flat.

When she put the glass back down and saw everyone starring at her she looked away, afraid she did something wrong. After some more starring Picario burst into laughter and Kelly soon followed after him. Ethan laughed too trying to contain himself.

Marry quickly got upset and said demandingly, “What is so funny!?”

Ethan stopped laughing enough to grab a paper towel and start wiping her mouth with it. “You have a white mustache from the melted marshmallows,” Ethan said.

Mary’s cheeks started glowing red and Ethan asked, “You never had hot chocolate before have you?”

“No,” Marry said. “I heard about this shop but never came here. I’m starting to see why people love it so.”

Kelly and Picario finally managed to stop laughing and Kelly asked, “Wait you really never had chocolate before?”

Marry shook her head and said, “It was too pricey of a delectable in my time so I never bothered seeking it out.”

“Say no more you wait right here while I introduce you to the taste of heaven,” Kelly said.

Picario joined Kelly as she got up and went to grab more treats. Ethan smirked and said, “Well be prepared to get overloaded with sweets. Kelly seems to have a weakness for them.”

It wasn’t long until Kelly and Picario returned; both of them carrying a tray filled with desserts of some kind or another. Kelly’s tray had a glass of every flavored milkshake while Picario’s was overloaded with cookies and chocolate bars.

“Bon appetite,” Kelly said as she sat back down when the trays were on the table.

Marry asked Kelly something in French and then Kelly responded with something else that sounded French but neither Ethan nor Picario could really tell. The girls laughed and carried on their conversation for two full minutes before stopping.

Kelly took one of the milkshakes and several of the chocolate bars and when she noticed Ethan and Picario starring at her she said, “Took four years of French classes, I’m fluent in it.” Then she smiled and started devouring her chocolate.

After a few more hours of Kelly and Marry stuffing their faces with treats Kelly said, “Well it’s about time for me to get back and feed the pets, nice meeting you Marry and merry Christmas everyone.”

“Merry Christmas,” The three of them called back to her. Picario stretched and left too saying he was going to take a nap.

“Guess we should leave too.” Ethan said.

Marry nodded and the two of them got up and left the shop. They both teleported to floor 99 and walked slowly back to Marry’s room.

“Thank you for inviting me to the feast, it was really amazing.” Marry said.

“You really are not very social.” Ethan said. “I guess given how much food you and Kelly ate though that could be called a feast.”

The two of them got to Marry’s room and Ethan said, “Merry Christmas.”

After unlocking her door Marry turned around and hugged Ethan. Ethan hugged her back and then she went into her room, shutting the door behind her.

Ethan returned to his room to find the entire fields covered in snow. Before he could take another step further inside he was hit in the face with a massive snowball. Picario and Kelly popped up from behind a wall of snow and they both simultaneously shouted, “Snowball fight!”

Ethan created several fake clones of himself to distract them while he made some snowballs and started throwing them.

Published 
Written by Starfallfantasy
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors