Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
And the dog howled...

"The silly Jingles family and their dog get into some trouble during their picnic"

4
4 Comments 4
659 Views 659
534 words 534 words

Author's Notes

"I originally wrote this as a call and response story for an audience or a performance story with a few volunteers in the roles of the Mom, Dad, kids and the dog. That's the reason for the repetitive verses. Currently working on a picture book version. The intended audience is ages 4-6."

One bright and beautiful summer's day, The Jingles family --Mom, Dad and their two kids-- decided to go on a picnic and play at the park. They packed a big basket filled with submarine sandwiches, fresh fruit and their favourite delicious cookies as a special treat. They packed everything up in their car.

Dad said, “Ho! Ho!”

Mom said, “Hee! Hee!”

The kids said, “Ha! Ha!”

Unfortunately, they were so excited to get going that they almost forgot to bring along the dog! Woof!

They all said, “Uh, oh!”

And the dog howled, "Oh, nooo!"

But that was okay. At least they remembered before they left. So they put the dog in the car and off they went!

As soon as they got to the park, they laid out a red and white checkered blanket on the grass and set the basket full of food onto it. They were ready to play! First, they had some fun playing catch and threw a ball back and forth to each other. 

Dad said, “Ho! Ho!”

Mom said, “Hee! Hee!”

The kids said, “Ha! Ha!”

Unfortunately, the ball got away and bounced down a steep, long hill! Boing!

They all said, “Uh, oh!”

The Jingles watched the ball bounce all the way to the bottom of the hill. Boing! Boing! Boing!

And the dog howled, “Oh, nooo!”

But that was okay. At least they didn’t lose their ball. The family just went after it, running and skipping down the hill.

Dad said, “Ho! Ho!”

Mom said, “Hee! Hee!”

The kids said, “Ha! Ha!”

Unfortunately, the hill was too steep and they all tripped and fell! Ouch!

They all said, “Uh, oh!”

The Jingles rolled all the way to the bottom of the hill. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

And the dog howled, “Oh, nooo!”

But that was okay. No one was hurt and at least they got their ball back! After wiping the grass and dirt off their clothes, they decided to play tag instead. They chased each other across the field, laughing.

Dad said, “Ho! Ho!”

Mom said, “Hee! Hee!”

The kids said, “Ha! Ha!”

Unfortunately, they ran right into a furry, black and white skunk waddling out of the bushes! P.U.!

They all said, “Uh, oh!”

The Jingles ran away as fast as they could. P.U.! P.U.! P.U.!

And the dog howled, “Oh, nooo!”

But that was okay. At least they didn’t get sprayed by the stinky skunk.

After all of that playing and excitement, the Jingles were tired and hungry. They couldn’t wait to eat the submarine sandwiches, the fresh fruit and the delicious cookies they had brought, and so they ran to their picnic blanket and opened their basket.

Dad said, “Ho! Ho!”

Mom said, “Hee! Hee!”

The kids said, “Ha! Ha!”

Unfortunately, when they looked in the basket, all of their submarine sandwiches, fresh fruit and delicious cookies were gone! Someone had eaten them!

They all said, “Uh, oh!”

That wasn’t okay. Who could have eaten all of their food, they wondered? Then, the Jingles looked at the dog as he licked the last delicious cookie crumbs from his lips.

And the dog howled, “Oh, nooo!”

Published 
Written by Paperboy
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments