Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Cold

9
10 Comments 10
1.4k Views 1.4k
349 words 349 words
I wake in a cold sweat. The dream again. Will it never end, I ask myself.

As I lay very still, my mind takes me back. Back some twenty-five years ago at the age of five. A small happy five-year-old.

It had been raining and was a cold rain as it is now. I remember my dad picking me up and telling me mom had to work late, and we would get a burger for dinner.

He had said he was very tired, and I should go ahead and eat. He was going to take a nap on the sofa.

After I ate and watched the television for a while, I went to talk to him to see if he was hungry. I guess he was really tired because he didn't want to wake and was cold. I got a blanket from the bed and put on him Then watched more television.

When the news came on, I knew it was past my bedtime and went to wake him again. He was still cold, so I turned the heat way up to get him warm.

I lay on the floor next to him, in case he woke. I really was scared to go upstairs alone but didn't want to admit it.

When I woke, I heard my Mom talking about how hot it was in the house. I saw the tears in her eyes as she took me in her arms and held me tight. I though she was mad because of the heater being turned up so high.

It was a while before I finally realized she was not mad at me and the reason Dad was so cold. 

The doctors told mom the dreams would go away, and I would forget someday. Me I don't think so. I have them night and day. Asleep or awake. I have just learned to stop talking about it. I saw how much it make my Mom cry.

Oh, how I wish my Dad had never gone to sleep on the sofa and gotten cold. My dad had died that night.

Published 
Written by maryruth
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments