Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Over

1
1 Comment 1
1.4k Views 1.4k
904 words 904 words
A soft breeze flowing through the boughs of the deciduous trees, racing its way across empty fields of grass and slow moving streams and ponds, carrying on it the music of the night. Crickets chirped in the shadows, working together to create a symphony. With the birds gone and streetlights on everywhere, moths hummed and buzzed everywhere, trying to reach the mysterious glowing objects. The stars overhead shined bright, twinkling in and out as clouds passed in front of them. And my only companion this night, the moon, floated proud in the sky, pouring down its gentle white light around me in a warming hug. But this night, I didn't need a hug. I needed a miracle. One that could change my life. Hopefully forever. I gazed up hoping that there was some sort of magic sign or shooting star I could wish upon. There was none. Not a hint or even a glimmer of hope. Nothing.

I sighed. Maybe I should just go hang myself. I could just end it now and be done with it all. But that would be too painful. And what good would it do? I'd probably just be one of the unlucky ones who ends up just injuring himself and ending up in the insane asylum. And then things would only be worse.

I stood up. A puddle from a recent shower lay at my feet. Look at yourself, I thought, You're a thirty-nine year old man with no wife or kids, no job, and soon no place to sleep. You're a hopeless mess, just like they said you'd be. You should just die. At least then you'd be a burden off society's back. I kicked the puddle. That was enough of that. I couldn't take it anymore. And yet it was all true.

I began leaving the park, depressing thoughts flooding into my head one after another. Ideas flowed from one to the next, from thoughts of suicide to ones of complete and utter worthlessness. Sometimes I imagined myself lying dead from various methods of suicide to ones of people telling me about all the things I had failed at.

I rounded the corner of the park to the sidewalk outside. It was only one in the morning according to the clock near the entrance. It was too early for anyone to be awake. But that's not the case in the city that never sleeps. I saw parents with children and college students out on a night around town roaming the sidewalks. Some smelled of tobacco, some of alcohol, and others of lavender or chamomile baby lotion. I could easily pick out the beginners from the experts here.

I stopped at a corner with people waiting to cross the street. I slipped my way to the front of the crowd, hoping no one would complain. No one did. Once more I was just another face in the crowd.

The lights turned red and the orange hand became a white walking stick man. I crossed the street alone and walked down the street towards my apartment. More thoughts of worthlessness crossed my mind and I felt even worse as I continued on. I stopped at an empty street corner. Maybe I could just stand in the middle of the street and wait for a car to run me down. Then I wouldn't have to deal with life anymore. But I'd probably just fail at that too.

I heard them before I saw them and turned to face them. Flying down the road at over sixty miles and hour. Two little tuner cars flew by on a drag race. It was psychotic.

I ran across the street. No sense in risking my life taking my time. And what good would it do to-

Something was wrong as the two cars made their way back down the street. I could hear metal grinding asphalt and turned around. I saw two people trying to cross the street - one a tired young child and the other a nervous wreck of a parent. I ran as fast as I could.

The cars were now only blocks away and I could hear the screeching steel. Apparently the mother could hear it too because she froze and stared directly at the oncoming cars. I was now at the street corner and only seconds remained. At least if I was a failure, I'd be a life saving one.

"Don't stand there!" I yelled frantically as I raced towards them. "Move! Now!" The frightened mother took no heed, clearly unable to hear me. I could see the headlights now. The cars were closing fast and the roar of the engines drowning out all sound.

Time seemed to slow down as I stepped out onto the crosswalk. I could see the frightened woman turning to face me and realization spreading across her face. I could see the child yawn sleepily, oblivious to what was going on around his frail body.I turned left and could see the sparks from the dragging metal on the left car and the bright blue and yellow headlights each car sported. Everything seemed to move at half the speed. I reached the woman just as she wrapped her arms around her son. I shoved her with just enough strength to move her out of the way.

I didn't even feel the impact when the car hit. It was over. Just like that.

Published 
Written by TRacr14
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments