Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Reunion

4
4 Comments 4
291 Views 291
271 words 271 words

Oh no, he’s about to recount the story of me falling out of a rowing boat. I told my brother that story always embarrassed me, he never listens. For god sake, I was only ten at the time and had never fished off a boat before. Oh well, at least it gave everyone a laugh. I suppose it is funny looking back. Mum looks happy, sitting there in her floral dress. She always loved that dress. I remember buying that out of my first week’s wages. It is a pretty dress, but she looks somewhat out of place. Everyone else is wearing black.

Now it’s my old workmate Jeff’s turn. He wants to remind me and everyone else about the time I was chatting up a young woman at work and nearly got run over by a forklift truck. I remember that day; I was trying to look so cool. You do at that age. I think her name was Mary. I wonder whatever happened to her. I look over at my mum, she’s still smiling. My mum has such a lovely smile. I know mums are not allowed to have favourites, but everyone in the room knows I’m hers.

Then it was my brother's turn again, yet another embarrassing story no doubt. I think mum could tell that I wasn’t exactly enjoying my roasting. But mum being mum, just walked over to me and whispered in my ear. “Don’t take it to heart son, they are only saying these things because they love you. They did the same thing at my funeral.”

Published 
Written by Brad_Naylor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments