Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Smallpox killed the Americans: Plutonium killed the Americans

"A few scattered tribes survived, weak, but growing back to health through the generations."

3
4 Comments 4
1.2k Views 1.2k
193 words 193 words
First one Spaniard, then most indigenouspeople, died. Just in one year, 1525, probably millions perished. The civilisations of the Amazon were buried, first the flesh, then the artefacts, then finally even great temples. A few scattered tribes survived, weak, but growing back to health through the generations.

'The Lost Civilisation' was covered by forest, largely 'undiscovered' even by the most intrepid of explorers until the innovation of clear-fell logging. Only legend remained of times before 'Smallpox Armageddon'. 1925 was already a hundred years too late to see El Dorado, Percy Fawcett.

Quickly the forests were again dwindling, replaced by a 'beefbasket' for the teeming billions on the planet. Another century passed, was it 2025 when convulsions of war shook the Earth? The plutonium laced clouds of the Cataclysm blew across the waters of the Amazon.

This is 2525, we are proud of what we have achieved. Today Cuiabá is the greatest of Cities, with nearly a million inhabitants. With each generation we grow stronger, seeing less deformity among our people. I am Enrico Mendes. In a week I sail with Admiral Mateus Cortés, for Africa, to claim the Forgotten World for the Emperor of Grande Brasil.

Published 
Written by RichardBunning
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments