Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Smell Of The Rain

9
9 Comments 9
1.3k Views 1.3k
239 words 239 words

She sat back, headphones on, pressed play and closed her eyes. As she listened to the music she heard the distant rumbling of thunder, it was getting louder, closer. She smiled. Soon the rains would be here.

Looking around, taking in the dry harsh plains, the cracked white earth pierced by the odd clump of long crisp parched grass, she breathed in, filling her lungs with the hot air. A few kilometers away thick billowing clouds of dust were blowing up. She raised her binoculars to her eyes and saw, ahead of the dust, the herd moving towards her, the elephants in the front kicking up the fine powdery earth, covering those behind them. They moved with purpose at a steady pace. "They smell the rain," she murmured to herself. 

 As she continued to watch, she felt the air change temperature. Turning, she noticed for the first time the dark heavy clouds rolling in across the plains, sheets of rain already reaching the thirsty ground, moving towards her like a curtain being drawn. The elephant's excitement was obvious, large drops were already falling around her, throwing up dust as they hit the ground. The smell was heady, overpowering, intoxicating. She again breathed in a large breath, sighing...the wonderful smell of rain.

Her body relaxed as the next song started. A large smile spread across her face as she heard the words, "I bless the rains down in Africa..." 

 

 

Published 
Written by AriesDragon
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments