Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Christmas Donation

"Holiday Giving"

4
4 Comments 4
149 Views 149
271 words 271 words
Top Story

A young woman in faded jeans, a tattered sweater, holding a baby on her hip, walked into the local community center. She made her way down the narrow hall and into the tiny office where two women were sitting, chatting and drinking coffee. The office manager was at her desk and the other lady was sitting across from her next to the window. When the young woman approached, the manager said, “Hello, how can we help you?”

The young woman said, “I would like to donate a little money to the Christmas Giving program.” And she handed the manager a hundred-dollar bill.

The other lady that was sitting there gave a little laugh, then said, “Well, that is very kind of you, but I know of your family, and you don't have any money to spare. Why are you donating to other families when you should be receiving from us instead?”

The young woman smiled and gave her baby a little squeeze, then said, "Even a poor person can feel rich. I have a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear, a car to drive, and the love of my family. All of these things make me feel very rich, so why would I need anything more?”

The lady just smiled, not knowing what to say, and then she looked down at her fancy over-priced shoes, the 14k gold diamond ring on her finger and the BMW sitting out in the parking lot. The office manager stood up smiling and gave the young woman a hug, thanking her, and said, “I think you’re the richest person I know.”

Published 
Written by jmcchesnie
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments