Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Lion, The Wolf, and The Fox

6
7 Comments 7
728 Views 728
561 words 561 words

The lion strode proudly from the bush into the open tundra. Unafraid of being seen. The shoulder high grass failing to hide his massive mane. He canted his head as a scent in the air told him she was near. A small throaty growl gives notice that he is aware.

She weaves her way through the dense undergrowth. Darting in and out of cover. Her thick bushy tail held low as she prowled and rising in full plumage each time she stopped to survey her surroundings. The fox chirped softly as she heard the low growl of the lion.

Sitting unnoticed in the treeline, the wolf watches the choreography of the hunt as the lion begins tightening the circle around the fox. Her chirping signaling the intensity of her impending capture. The wolf stands and leaves the safety of the shadows.

As he gets closer to his prey, the lion raises his head and roars his warning to any who may hear. The fox will soon be his. She can’t hide from him in his domain. He lowers his kingly frame in preparation for his leap.

Realizing she is trapped, the fox whimpers and lowers her tail as she walks towards her inevitable destiny. Even as she walked, she could hear the rustle of the grass being parted by another head and shoulders from behind her.

The wolf, head lowered, sniffing her scent as he pointed his nose in his march toward the fox. Raising his head, the greatest beast of all Dire wolves could easily see above the grass line. Fearlessly he heads towards the mane of the king.

The lion could see the wolf coming at him in the grass. Averting his gaze momentarily, he could hear the whimpering of the fox as she approached. He leaped and clutched her small frame in his jaws. His powerful legs surged him and his prey through the grass towards his home nest in the brush.

Reacting to the commotion, the wolf accelerated his gait to a full run. Giving chase to the lion holding the fox. He knew where they were headed. The wolf changed his direction to cut the lion off. His speed increasing with each stretching of his legs.

The fox watched from the grasp of the lion’s jaws. Knowing how it will end, her body drapes helplessly, in cadavers pose as the lion cut sharply to his right and turned to face the wolf. He drops the fox and roars as the wolf leaped from the high grass. His howl piercing the dusk, the ground shaking as his immense body landed heavily at the feet of the lion.

As the sun fell beneath the horizon, the lion, the wolf, and the fox were encapsulated in darkness. Only the light of a full wolf’s moon shone down on them. The lion settled into his matted nest. The fox circled twice, then lay safely between the lion’s legs. Her tail spread and covering her like a blanket.

The wolf, as is his inherited nature, sits regally alone to the side. Ever watching. Always on guard. Unable to abandon those he holds close. He looks down at the lion and the fox. He arches his back, raises his head and howls toward the full moon, challenging all who dare.

His family is safe for one more day.

Published 
Written by Dreamcatcher
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments