Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Castle

5
5 Comments 5
796 Views 796
1.4k words 1.4k words
Vince Carter was a world renown photographer and treasure hunter. He had shot and explored some of scariest places in the world and always discovered some hidden treasure trove. His books were always in demand and attendance at his lectures and book signings were always full houses

The items that he discovered always fetched the highest prices when they went to auction, so he was pretty well off financially. Today found him in the courtyard of a magnificent castle in Wales along with a dozen or so sightseers.

The castle was magnificent and built in the European fashion and complete with a drawbridge and a moat. Now the entrance to the castle proper was behind a large wrought iron fence, the policeman on duty ensured that no one attempted to breach the fence. Vince had never known this castle existed he had just heard about it while in London.

Vince sought out the mayor of this small town and spoke to him about gaining access. He was informed that only the last surviving member of that family could grant him that permission, and he could arrange such a meeting if Vince wished to pursue this quest.

"So, you wish to search for the hidden treasure?" the mayor asked.

"There is a treasure? I only wanted to shoot the interior that the public never sees."

"There is a vast treasure room hidden somewhere in the bowels of the castle, but only the Baroness can grant permission for you to enter. If you wish I shall call her and make a request on your behalf for an audience," the mayor informed him.

One week later Vince arrived at the Charles de Gaulle airport in France where he hired a car and a driver to transport him to the residence of the Baroness de Winter. Her posh residence was located in one of the gated communities in the 16th arrondissement of Paris also known as the Arrondissement de Passy.

He was met at the door by a uniformed butler and escorted to a private sitting room for his audience with the Baroness. At precisely 10:00 am the Baroness was escorted into the room. She glared at those that were attempting to hold her arms and escort her and they backed away.

Although in her ninety's the Baroness was still a very handsome woman. She was tall and lean with a full head of silver hair. She had an excellent command of the English language, a keen wit and inquiring mind. Vince stood and gave a small bow as she entered the room and she invited him to sit in a chair across from her.

"You need not be so nervous young man, I have not had anyone beheaded in quite some time," she said with a smile and a twinkle in her eye.

"I have never been in the presence of real royalty before, most of the time I deal with lawyers," Vince responded with a laugh.

"And I have never met a famous explorer before, so it is a day of firsts for both of us," she responded. She then issued an order in French to two of the uniformed maids who bowed and quickly departed

The Baroness then introduced the men that had escorted her into the room, one was her lawyer and the other her personal physician, the men shook hands all around. The servants reappeared with a tray and tea was served to all.

As they enjoyed their tea and cakes the Baroness asked Vince numerous questions about the places he visited, Vince was surprised at how well traveled she was. When she finished her tea, she produced a pack of cigarettes from her pocket and asked for a light.

The Doctor and lawyer both protested and she fixed them with a glare and they fell silent. She then dismissed them from then from the room with a wave of her hand and the simple command of, "Leave us."

Vince lit her cigarette, and she thanked him and asked permission to smoke with her. She nodded and Vince lit up.

'One would think that at this advanced stage of my life and with all I had accomplished that I could indulge myself in a smoke after tea and not be fussed over like a bed ridden invalid," she said to Vince.

"They are worried about your health," he responded.

"Not really.They are worried about their positions if I should cast off the mortal coil," she responded with another smile.

There was more polite conversation while she smoked. When she crushed out her cigarette in a massive glass ashtray, her voice took on a serious tone.

"You wish access to my ancient ancestor's castle and search for the hidden treasure?" she stated.

"I wanted to shoot the interior. I only became aware of the rumored treasure while I was in Wales.

"It is not a rumor, the treasure is quite real and so is the danger."
"Danger?"

"Yes, danger. When a marauding band of outlaws breached the castle to search for the vast wealth the King was rumored to have they murdered his Queen and his children in the search. The King went mad and ordered that the dungeons be emptied and those imprisoned there be brought before him. They were pardoned and warned of a swift death if the break the law again."

The Baroness took a sip of tea and lit another cigarette before she continued.

"The King went into the dungeon accompanied by his master mason and knocked a hole in a wall to expose the deepest bowels of the castle. They then ferried all his treasure there and hid it in various places.

It was rumored that they stayed down there for months surviving on the baskets of food and wine left by his servants at the entrance to the dungeons. The servants had been warned to go no further."

"The King then raided the armory and took dozens of weapons away with him. Then after securing a the large coil of rope and a number of specially made steel spikes he went back down there with his master mason.Together they set lethal traps all over passages to the lowest part of the castle and the place where the vast treasure was hidden."

"The master mason was paid a king's ransom and sent away. The King passed some years later and left no record of where the treasure was hidden or how to avoid the many deadly traps. Many of his ancestors tried to find the hidden treasure, they all perished in the process

"My six times great Grandfather saw the ending of the days of kings and queens approaching and decided to seal off that part of the castle and keep it that way. He and his court took up more modern residence elsewhere."

"The castle and lands still belong to the royal family and money is sent every year to maintain the outside walls and the main hall."

"Now unknown to the king, the master mason had kept a diary of their work while down there. He, however, died shortly after the king did and before the notes could be given to the royal family. The diary remained lost for almost three hundred years.

"It was in 1970 that a young man claimed to have found it and sought permission to enter the castle that I granted."

"Did he die?" Vince asked.

"No, but he was never the same. Now do you still wish permission to enter?"

"Very much."

The Baroness picked a phone on her right and had a rapid conversation in French to whoever answered on the other end. A moment later her lawyer knocked on the door and entered the room. He carried some legal documents and a stack of his earliest coffee table books, the Baroness asked that he autograph each one before he left.

Her attorney placed the legal document in front of Vince. It was an agreement that prevented him, his family and heirs from seeking legal action and compensation from the de Winter for any injuries or death that he might incur seeking the treasure.

There was also an agreement that anything bearing the families coat of arms be turned over to her. Vince readily signed it and then the coffee table books.

"The young man that survived now resides in your country. I shall call and tell him to expect you, and I pray that you see him before you go any further."

Vince stood and bowed before kissing the top of the Baroness's hand.

"May God protect you," she intoned. She then instructed that he be given a ride to the airport.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments