Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Talking Heads

4
4 Comments 4
204 Views 204
400 words 400 words

Author's Notes

"This is my attempt at dialogue. I’m just trying something different. This is a conversation between two old ladies in a shop. Any comments would be most welcome. Cheers."

“I saw Sally in the butchers the other day.”

“Oh yes.”

“Yes, she’s really piling on the pounds.”

“I noticed that. She told me that her doctor said that she had an underactive thyroid.”

“Ha, and overactive knife and fork if you ask me.”

“Yes, you are probably right.”

“I am right. I’ve seen her in the sweet shop buying bars of chocolate. You know, those giant bars, not the little ones.”

“Well, I suppose eating lots of chocolate isn’t any good if you want to lose weight.”

“Exactly.”

“Speaking of doctors, I saw young Julie in there the other day.”

“Why were you at the doctor's?”

“It’s my arthritis again; it’s really playing up lately. I suspect it’s the cold weather.”

“Yes, my knee's creek something awful in this weather. Anyway, what about Julie?”

“Well, as I said, I saw her in the waiting room last Wednesday. I couldn’t help but notice that she was carrying a morning specimen of, you know.”

“Oh, I see. Do you think she’s, you know?”

“I think she must be. Why else would a young girl like that be taking a morning specimen to the doctor's?”

“Oh dear, her husband left her ages ago. It must be at least two years, so it can’t be his.”

“That’s what I thought. The funny thing is; I’ve seen Roger the milkman going in and out of her house at all hours.”

“That doesn’t surprise me. Randy Roger, I call him. Rumour has it; he’s got a few women on the go. You know that Mrs. Meadows from Crawley Road.”

“Yes.”

“Well, I heard that her and her husband had been trying for a baby for ages; tried everything, apparently. Six weeks after ordering her milk from randy Roger, she went and got herself pregnant.”

“Oh dear, I shouldn’t laugh, but that sounds more than just a coincidence to me.”

“That’s what I thought. It seems that randy Roger delivers more than just gold top.”

“I’ll tell you what, if I were forty years younger, I would be getting my milk from him too.”

“You’re incorrigible.”

“I know, but do me a favour. Don’t tell anyone that I saw Julie at the doctor's.”

“Of course not, you know me, I hate to gossip.”

“I know, dear, I know.”

Published 
Written by Brad_Naylor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments