Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Before The Tragically Hip made it big

"Before The Tragically Hip made it big"

4
2 Comments 2
635 Views 635
281 words 281 words

This is a true story about teenagers helping other teenagers during a band project. This story connects Edmonton with what is now described as an Iconic Canadian Band... THE TRAGICALLY HIP. 

On March 23, 1988, some friends and I were looking for whatever experience we could have, when someone saw a poster that a band called The Tragically Hip was doing a gig at Dancing Shoes, a small bar on the south side of the Mayfield Inn, in Edmonton. They wanted the audience to dance around in front of the stage for the filming of a video. We thought they had a cool name so we went. The internet was not available in the late 80's so I did not see this youtube video until a couple of months ago. 

On the website The Last American Exit - The Tragically Hip uploaded the video from that day and I am seen dancing in that video at 3.21 minutes. Honestly, I don't even remember the band, but I do remember being there. I did not see any cameras. Basically, it was a non-event because no one knew the Tragically Hip would become so famous, unlike so many basement bands. 

I will not be dancing around in front of anyone's gig these days because I am in a long term care home with MS. Once, when I was down and lethargic, I said to my close friend... "all I want to do is wash my own dishes, sit on the ground to play with my cat and feel the grass squish between my toes."

I want to thank Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip for giving me a BOOST and I wish them peace and perseverance. 

 

 

 

Published 
Written by Adrienne
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments