Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Wedding DJ 2

"More wedding DJ stories"

5
5 Comments 5
1.5k Views 1.5k
796 words 796 words
Wedding DJ's get a lot of strange requests. At one reception I returned an hour after setting up to find a small TV set up behind my equipment. I cannot recall the year, but the Cleveland Indians were in the playoffs and the Bride and her Dad were BIG fans of the Indians. Her Dad instructed me that NO MATTER what was going on, if the Indians scored or one of the players hit a grand slam I was to announce it. So throughout dinner anytime the Indians scored I announced and 98% of the guests cheered.

So now comes the Father/Daughter dance which is usually a touching moment in any reception. The DJ plays " Daddy's Little Girl" and the Father dances with his little girl who is now a grown woman, her head is on his shoulder and there is usually tears from one or both parties. The room is darkened save for a spotlight that highlights the dancers. About halfway through the song one of the players for the Indians hits a homer and 2 players come home. So I announce it as instructed. Dad and his Daughter stop their dance to jump around, pump their fists in the air and high 5 each other while the guests cheer.

As soon as they are done they resumed their original positions of her head on his shoulder in the middle of the dance floor as if nothing had happened.

At another one I received written instructions that at exactly 9:00PM no matter what was happening, or what was playing, I was to put on "Billy Joel's Piano Man". It was another one of those rare GREAT receptions, no complaints about the music and it seemed that everybody was up dancing. As the night progresses the music I play gets faster, I remember the instructions and look at my watch, and realize that its almost 9:00PM, and there was no way to mix Piano Man with what I had on the turntable without it sounding like a train wreck.

So I pulled out AC/DC's Hells Bells and the let the chimes heard in the beginning overwhelm what was currently playing while I cued up Piano Man, and it actually worked. Every guest present walked to the dance floor and formed a circle around the newly married couple and sang the lyrics to Piano Man. It seems that the Groom had proposed to his Bride on a Saturday Night at 9:00PM and Piano Man was playing.

People that WANT to have a good time usually do ..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You do need to use common sense at your reception, the problem is that common sense along with decorum usually goes out the window after the first 1/2 dozen drinks. The removal of the bridal garter and the following bouquet and garter toss are big events. Now 98% of the time the age of the participants of the bouquet/garter toss are restricted to those 18 years of age and older. Because as you have observed the male that catches the garter then places it on the leg of the lady that caught the flowers. This is usually done as the DJ plays some slow sexy music and usually announces, "that every inch above the knee is 7 years good luck."

Well at one reception the bride ignored my suggestion of 18 and older restriction for her bouquet toss, she didn't think any of the under 18 ladies would catch it, I disagreed as there was quite a number of them present. Well sure enough as she tosses her bouquet, and a very pretty long legged beauty of about 14 or 15 catches them in almost midair. Now at other receptions when this happens they usually place the garter on the arm of the young lady to avoid embarrassment. Not this time. They brought a chair to the center on the dance floor and bade the young lady take a seat.

The guy that caught the garter was a creepy looking sort that made a big showing of warming his hands as he knelt down in front of the young lady, and I could see that she was not comfortable with this. I voiced my displeasure and refused to play the sexy music, and I was shocked when the reception party began to hum it.

As soon as this creepy looking guy touched the hem of her dress she began to cry. Her Father, that had been unaware of this scene came out and snatched her away. He thanked me for being a gentleman, he then proceeded to get in the faces of the bride, groom, creepy looking guy and the entire wedding party. He was joined by both sets of parents of the couple. It was not a good ending.

Let your requests be ruled by common sense.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments