Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
What Happens in Vegas

"My first trip to Las Vegas was a learning experience."

2
0 Comments 0
1.2k Views 1.2k
625 words 625 words
So here I am on my first trip to Las Vegas. I chose to stay downtown because it was cheaper than the strip. Back then downtown was considered a rough side of town. It boasted some well known casinos but was still called a toilet by many, and bears little resemblance to what you would find today.

There was no Internet to check room prices, so you had to use a travel agent or call each airline and hotel in Vegas to get room rates and availability. Thankfully the Sunday paper's travel section listed local travel agents and their offerings; after one phone call and one visit and I snagged a room at the Fitzgerald. Like I said there were no on-line instructional sites on how to play these games of chance, so prior to my vacation I spent a great deal of time at the library reading.

I was blown away by the sights when we landed and quickly found the free ground transportation to get me to the hotel. I arrived way too early and had to wait to check in, so I took a seat, keeping my luggage close, and people-watched. Vegas offers the best people-watching.

Eventually the desk clerk summons me and informs me my room is ready, I drop my bags and place the bulk of my money in the in-room safe. I am now ready.

I head down to the casino to play some blackjack. Now players are not permitted to touch the card dealt to them at any blackjack table. Well, I mistakenly did and the dealer, this nasty looking Vietnamese woman smacked my hand and screamed, "No touch cards!" I did not win that hand so I picked up my remaining chips and sought out a pit boss. I badged him, a.k.a. showed my police ID, and lodged a complaint against the woman.

I gave him the 'I'm just a dumb cop and here to spend my money' speech and told him I did not appreciate this female smacking my hand. He fell over himself apologizing, and gave me a voucher for about 20 bucks in free chips. I got my chips and thanked him as I headed out the door. I informed him I was going across the street where they were friendlier.

I had a pretty good day, even won a little bit of money. So I decided to treat myself to a well known landmark bar and have a few cold beers and ogle the dancers. The sign out front said 'No Cover' so I entered and took a seat at the bar. I was informed by the bartender that there was a two drink minimum, so I requested two bottles of my favorite beer. He placed them in front of me and told me, "That will be 14 dollars".

"Seven dollars a beer?" I questioned.

"Yup" was his answer.

I told him to stick it and walked out amid his threats of calling the local police. Well sure enough as I was about 20 paces from the door when a black and white cruiser pulled to the curb and the officers exited. They approached and requested my ID, I very slowly reached for my back pocket and pulled my wallet. When they saw my police ID they visibly relaxed and said, "This place is a toilet — we know a better one," and offered to take me there.

After dropping me off they said if I waited about an hour they would join me. So I waited and they did. The rest of the evening is kind of foggy, but I do remember getting into a cab and that is the extent of it. Not a bad first day if I do say so myself...

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors