Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Barefootin'

5
4 Comments 4
791 Views 791
435 words 435 words
The song Barefootin' was a hit in 1965. Robert Parker sang it. It's been covered many times, by many other singers, notably Wilson Pickett, Pete Townshend, and Jerry Jeff Walker. I was thinking of it today.

I'm enrolled in classes to learn to dance. One class is a Musical Theatre and Jazz class. The other is a beginner's Ballet class. They're both challenging and great fun. We'll be learning some short dance routines to perform at the end of the semester. It'll be a showcase for some of us.

I've performed in plays that had some dancing in them. I had to polka one time, and another time we waltzed. We also did some choreographed routines in the style of folk, or line, or square dancing. I'm hoping to be in South Pacific this summer. That would definitely involve some dance moves.

The reason I was thinking of going barefoot has to do with dancing. Often, if one doesn't have the proper shoes one can simply dance barefooted. Especially with modern dancing. But ballet performers have no problem doing most of their moves in bare feet. It isn't really possible to go on pointe without pointe shoes. Good dancers can do a reasonable facsimile. But a grand display of ballet techniques is possible with bare feet.

Jazz and modern dance is quite friendly to bare feet. My instructor is often dancing with no foot wear. And she always removes her socks too. They can be rather dangerous on wood floors that are even a little shiny. You can slip and injure yourself. I haven't gone without my shoes yet because we were told to bring jazz shoes to our class. But I can see how it would be freeing to get rid of them and just let the bare feet go crazy. And the youngsters in class often forget their shoes.

It's spring out today. Dogwoods are blooming, as are forsythia. Lots of trees are bursting out with blooms. I saw daffodils last week. And spring means summer is on its way. Time to go barefooted. I'm surely looking forward to it. This is a grand time of the year.

So dancing is giving me some new moves. And soon I'll be auditioning for one play or another. Life is pulsating outside and inside. What could be a grander time then this. Time to get rid of the shoes.

When the sun goes down the tide goes out. The people gather round and they all begin to shout. Hey hey Uncle Dud it's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi mud.

Let's go Barefootin'.

Published 
Written by Survivor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments