Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Childhood vs Adulthood

3
3 Comments 3
1.1k Views 1.1k
486 words 486 words
How in the world did we get here?

One moment we were kids with small problems that we deemed the biggest problems in the world, like not wanting to have a bedtime because we were "too old" for that crap. Or, not being able to get that brand new toy that every kid seems to already have meanwhile you're there stuck with old, outdated toys.

Those were the small problems that we used to deem as the biggest problems.

And what else "ruined" our lives when we were younger? What other small problems did we deem as "the biggest"?

Curfew and not being able to go out shopping with friends because our parents were paranoid that we'd get kidnapped or get into some kind of trouble.

Those were the simpler days, weren't they? Where your biggest problem was that you couldn't do something you wanted to do without getting your parents' permission first, and if they said no, it was the end of your life.

I always wanted to grow up faster. Always wanted to be older so I could do more things. It used to seem so easy. Or at least, I thought it looked easy being an adult rather than a kid with a thousand "cannot do this and that" crap.

I prayed time would go faster, so I could finally become an adult myself. I prayed and prayed. Wished for it on every shooting star I saw... okay, maybe not on every single one... because a few of the other shooting stars that I saw, I wished that that boy would notice me.

See what I mean? That was another of the small problems kids deemed as the biggest of the biggest problems.

My wishes were answered. Not the wish about that boy noticing me, but the wish that time would go by faster.

That wish was granted.

They always said, be careful for what you wish for.

I never completely understood what they meant by that. Until now.

I'm finally an adult.

A thousand things piled up into days that had so few hours to get things done. An hour seemed like one minute these days.

Sleep was unheard of. No time for sleep. Pumped up with caffeine.

Too many things that had to be done, too much responsibility.

Partying? That's the dumbest shit I have ever heard. There's no damn time for that without something in your life falling apart.

How the heck did I get here? Where, more than half the time, I feel like I'm a walking zombie with a cup of coffee in my hand, and a book in the other.

Maybe I was doing this, you know, adulthood, the wrong way. Maybe things don't have to be this serious.

Maybe that wish about time going faster was a bad wish, because right at this moment, I wish I was a kid again with those silly small problems.
Published 
Written by littlemunchkin
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments