Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Escaping the Concrete Jungle

7
7 Comments 7
415 Views 415
246 words 246 words

My monochrome life.

Shrill beeps are always the first sounds my ears hear, followed by an illogical frenzy to get ready to meet another shades-of-grey day. Toes painfully cramped in their black shoe cages pound the cold, grey concrete. A darker grey building towers over me reminding me of my smallness.

Once inside, banker clones brush past me in their dark suits, cramming into every remaining crevice of the elevator. The morning passes with sounds of the air conditioning humming, struggling to cool the horde running to and fro throughout the building, with learned hurriedness. Fingers rapidly click click click on faded black keyboards.

Only the darkest roast coffee can awaken us. And even with that, our senses remain asleep to the natural beauty of our world, shrouded in man-made creations.

I can't take it anymore and quietly cry in my six-by-six-foot cubicle.

"Are you alright?" his soothing voice asks.

I can only shake my head no. 

"Come with me," he says.

I look up into gentle eyes and notice something different about him. His eyes sparkle amidst the dullness surrounding him. And they are blue. The first color I have seen today. 

Desperate for change, I go with him and he introduces me to nature, a sensory wonderland not yet dulled by human hands.

I breathe deeply, flaring my nostrils. Thoughts of meetings and deadlines drift away with my exhaling breath. Rid of worldly distractions, peace finally finds me. 

My love affair with nature begins...

 

 

Published 
Written by WriterGirl
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments