Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
In which I transition

8
8 Comments 8
909 Views 909
250 words 250 words

The transition is almost complete. I can feel it. Soon I'll be adjusted to my new age. It's been a difficult three years. I fought against it. A good fight; but I've run out of weapons. I'm adjusting quickly to the occupying forces. Of elderly forces. Of lesser capacity and capabilities. Of accepting the fact that there are more memories in my past than are possible for me to create in the future.

The future is not hopeless; it's not surrender; it simply has boundaries; it has limitations. There is a horizon in view and I know that I will certainly, and unequivocally, pass over it.

Like all others before me, I am average now.

"Like all others before me." The phrase stings and it cuts and it burns.

"Like all others before me." The same way it must have stung, cut, and burned the ones before me.

The unknown and little celebrated Myles Turner, first warden of the Serengeti National Park, had a human skull on his desk with a placard that read "I once was as you are now. As I am now, you will become."  The origin of that phrase has been debated by many and the phrase itself has been carved into headstones for centuries.

And now I know the truth of it, the fact of it.

First there is a change then there is transition to the change.

My transition is almost complete. Soon I'll be adjusted to my new Age. I can feel it.

 

Published 
Written by Wordpusher715
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments