Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
New Year Fear and Hope

3
3 Comments 3
940 Views 940
232 words 232 words

I face this year with trepidation; fearing my next destination.
Ogres and trolls -of this past year- may cross a bridge into the New Year.
I worry life is no longer a thrill and I'm nothing more than a shill.
A shill destined to play in another man's scam; that may be all I truly am.

Myths, legends, and campfire stories, so late in life and so few glories,
I settle into my routine as paternoster, others step on and off me with lies they foster.
Once life was dear and passion reigned; but now it's cheap; excitement feigned.
What is happy about another year when the future is where I'll find my fear?

Oh, bring me hope, you youthful Child, allow me once again to be wild.
Free as the wind in a tall ship's sail! Free to explore a seldom trod trail!
Free from regrets and redundance; free from old debt and encumbrance.
Be gone, Responsibility, ye tie that binds! Let me sail upon the Golden Hind!

And so to you, Oh Promising New Year, I challenge you to captain and steer
The voyage in my Life that remains; be strong, be wise, and beggar my chains.
Take me from this year of despair and guide me to castles in the air.
Let me leave behind the things I fear and help me embrace a Happy...and Hopeful...New Year.

 

 

Published 
Written by Wordpusher715
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments