Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Legendary Tale Chapters 0ne and Two

"As a pandemic ends the world, a small town man copes with survival and loss."

0
0 Comments 0
933 Views 933
789 words 789 words
Author Note: This story is written for the world that is created in the 2007 movie I am Legend. The elements of the film, including the creatures, are involved in this work but are creations of the authors and innovators of the film. Although this is an independent work, I must give credit to the world that this work is involved in. 

One

Joel brought a shaky hand up to his forehead without a second thought, trying to wipe the sweat and fears away. "So this is how it ends, eh? So it looks like they might have me now," he thought as he reached for his Glock. He checked the clip quietly, grimaced and snapped it back in place. He checked his haversack next and saw he had two clips for his AK, which was strapped to his back. "Hmm, not enough to make it.....but enough to make a good impression." He smiled as the words came to mind. "Time for some payback." Joel murmured and immediately regretted them.

The howls grew closer, and the sound of footsteps advanced towards him. Joel pulled the AK from his back, careful not to damage or disturbed the last item that remained across his back. He smiled as he thought how ridiculous that last weapon would be, knowing full well that when it came time for it, that it would be too late for anything else. He pulled the curved banana clip and deftly inserted it into the rifle, repeating the process that he had practiced many times and really was more of instinct now than a conscious thought. Tears came as other thoughts rushed in, then anger, and finally a sense of calm as he realized that only moments remained. He sighed. "Oh well, never really wanted to live forever, but I always wanted to give it a try," Joel muttered as he chambered the first round and waited. He giggled at the absurdity of the utterance, "This could be fun, one final fun time." as he brought the rifle up to fire.....

 


Two

October 2008, Halloween, Approx. 10 AM

"Good grief, it's not supposed to be this way," he thought as he wiped his brow and continued pushing the mower along the lawn. It had been unusually warm for October, and Joel hoped this would be the final cut of the year. He grimaced up at the morning sun as it radiated down mercilessly. Seventy-five-degree weather this late in the year in rural Virginia was unusual, but not unheard of. He made another pass across the front yard of his home then took a break, letting the mower sputter to a halt with a thud. Joel Baker pulled his sunglasses away and grabbed the front bottom of his t-shirt up to again wipe his face of the new amount of moisture that had already gathered there and was streaming down, dripping off his chin. He had always sweated a lot, even as a young boy and teen. He smiled as thought back to the time when he was in the Boy Scouts, the time when he had hiked ten miles across the city of Lynchburg, Virginia, his hometown just over an hour away to the east, to the "Point of Honor" landmark. He remembered how he had sweated straight through the front and top of his hat and even soaked the brim till it had dripped. "Gosh, I hate hats," he said to no one particular, then laughed at himself for the randomness of the statement and could imagine Sadie looking at him as if he was crazy for the complete uselessness of what he had just spoken. "You're so silly, Joel Baker," he could hear her say, "and that's why I love you." He smiled at the pleasant thought as he pulled his cell from his pocket. Ten oh five it read and he returned it to his pocket. He was making good time with the lawn and wondered how his wife's day at the local Hallmark was going. Sadie had left at around nine forty-five for a rare day shift at the store, usually working in the evenings. She had blown him a kiss as she backed out of their drive on Fairlawn Drive in the small town of Rocky Mount, Virginia. Even though she liked the job, she hated it when she worked the day that Joel was off. Joel shook his head to clear his mind to get back to the job at hand, knowing the grass wasn't going to get done with him standing around thinking. He pulled the cord of his old mower and watched as it cranked to life. "Time's a wastin," he thought as he continued, grass clippings flying in the Autumn breeze.

Published 
Written by JB43SS
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors