Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 50

3
3 Comments 3
1.2k Views 1.2k
991 words 991 words
Holly spent about a week in the territorial capital choosing a wedding gown. She would awaken shortly after sunset and make the short walk to Mrs. Parsons bridal shop to view her photographs and to see and feel the fabrics.

Mrs.Parsons was always a little concerned about this pretty young woman walking the streets alone at night.

"Even in this nice town the streets can be a little dangerous after dark," she would tell Holly in hushed tones.

Holly would only smile to herself and tell her that she was not afraid. What she really wanted to tell this kindly woman was the only real dangerous thing on the streets after dark was her. Mrs.Parsons even offered to have her husband walk her to the train yard, Holly of course always declined the offer.

Holly finally made her selection on the third day and was measured that same evening. The garment was finished on the fifth day. She rewarded the older woman generously for opening up her shop after dark and the swiftness with which she completed her task despite her protests.

"We can't keep your young man waiting too long," Mrs Parsons would respond with a mischievous smile.

That evening she left instructions at the railroad station master that the private car should be hooked up to the next train heading East and parked on the private siding in Springwood. He accepted payment and told her that the train was due here tomorrow and he would see to it personally. She paid a visit to the telegraph office and had a message sent to Carpenter

Meanwhile back in Springwood: Brother Sebastian had just awakened Carpenter from his trance and he told the Monk all that he recalled.

"It is as I told you.Those early memories were still there, they just had to be awakened."

"It is hard to believe."

There was a knock at the door and Carpenter and a young messenger from the telegraph office handed him a telegram. It was the notice the news that Holly was returning home.

"I guess we can finally get married," Carpenter told the Monk.

"Good. After that is done I am going to have to return home," he answered.

"What about visiting my past?"

"You really no longer need my assistance. I have taught you how to relax and open your mind so you should be able to do it quite easily."

"I will miss having you around," Carpenter said.

"Not too greatly," he responded with a smile, as he pointed to the telegram Holly had sent.

Carpenter went to the bunkhouse and gave Marcus a list of instructions. Number one on the list was going to the printers and having fliers of the upcoming wedding printed. The date would be in October, less than a month away.

"I expect to see all of you there," he said addressing the ranch hands.

The train arrived back in Springwood in the early afternoon and the private car was parked on a the private siding. Shortly after sunset, Holly emerged and went to the livery stable because she knew that Carpenter had left a horse and buggy there for her.

They hitched it up for her and after a brief stop at the car to collect her luggage, she headed to the ranch.

Holly literally flew into Carpenter's arms and then covered his face with kisses. She stopped long enough to formally greet the Monk. He returned her greeting and then took his leave and headed to the train car in order to allow his host and hostess some privacy.

As he waked to the rail car, he thought about his future. Meeting Carpenter had been a stroke of good fortune for him. The books in his possession gave him the knowledge that not all vampires were allergic to sunlight and he tested it on himself.

He would be able to lecture anywhere that would pay the university the fee they asked for his appearances.He had yet to interpret the language used for the elixir that he read about and its purpose. He was sure that once back home and surrounded by his massive reference library, he would find the answer.

Back at the ranch house Carpenter told Holly of all the things he had remembered. She was not ashamed of the tears she shed over the pain he had endured in his younger days.

"Have you decided on a name that you are going to use?" Holly asked.

"Well as I told you, my real name is Prince Karl Di Cordey. Carpenter was a name I picked up somewhere."

"Then for the ceremony you can be Karl Carpenter," she offered.

"And afterward?" he asked.

"I will still call you Carpenter."

The next evening the printer rode out to Carpenter's ranch with a draft for the flier he had been commissioned to make. He wanted approval, before he continued, that and it was common knowledge that the man was known to tip generously for fast work.

The printer was not disappointed. Carpenter was happy with the work he was shown and tipped him saying to get the flyers up as soon as possible. Two weeks later the news of the wedding had reached Sinking Wells and the blacksmith shop by way of a passing cowpuncher.

Stiles took in the news and smiled.The day he had been planning was almost at hand. He would finally be able to expose that dance hall harlot for what she was and make the people aware of his crusade.

"You thinking of heading that way?" the cowpuncher asked.

"Yes I am," Stiles responded.

"Its better than a two day ride? Do you know this Carpenter fellow?"

"Yes, he and his bride-to-be are old friends of mine."

"It will be a nice surprise for them to see you again."

Stiles only smiled again and tossed the cowhand a silver dollar for his trouble and time.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments