Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Snow-White and Red-Rose Chapter 1

"A Grimm story brought to life"

2
2 Comments 2
1.7k Views 1.7k
1.3k words 1.3k words
Chapter 1

In a time not too far ago but long forgotten there lived an old widow by the name of Charlotte. She was a very lively and strong willed woman; middle age had only done her justice. Her shoulder length strawberry blonde hair was mildly graying and her skin showed no signs of wrinkling. Her eyes were a light sullen gray that watched over her two beautiful young girls with love and admiration.

They lived in a small cottage on the outskirts of the Amber forest away from the new city everyone was raving about. Charlotte was happy and content with her life and couldn’t wish for anything better.

Snow-White and Red-Rose were gorgeous young woman, fifteen year old twins that had been inseparable every moments of their lives. Snow-White was almost the literal description of her name. She had long glistening waist length snow white hair and flawless pale skin. Her eyes sparkled in the sunlight and her lips were an irresistible pink. She wore a long flowing light blue dress.

Red-Rose, on the other hand, was just as impeccably breathtaking as her sister but in a completely different way. Her long candy apple red hair also reached her waist. She had big brown eyes full of daydreams. Her skin was void of any imperfection and had a warm undertone to it that made her red lips all the more red.

It was a normal day, no more special than the others that is until… and this is where our story begins.

#

Snow-White was lying on her bed reading a book. She enjoyed doing quieter things such as reading or cleaning, and sometimes she even sang quietly to herself. She heard the sound of mumbling coming from behind her bedroom door. She quickly got up and opened it.

“Yes mama! What did you say?!” she called downstairs.

“Supper's almost finished! Go fetch your sister!”

“Alright mama!” she said and closed her door.

A light breeze was coming from her window. She smiled as she slipped out of the window and onto the tree she had come to know too well. She scrambled down gracefully. Her bare feet hit the warm mulch and she sprinted off to the field toward the Amber forest.

At this time of the day, just before dusk, the Amber forest lived up to its name. A translucent fog enveloped the entire forest to the point that it glowed Amber. As Snow-White grew closer she caught sight of her sister's blazing red hair. She skid to a stop. Red-Rose was sprawled out on the ground as a family of gray squirrels ran across her. She was giggling loudly.

“Red-Rose. Supper.” Snow-White spoke.

Red-Rose shot up, catching the baby squirrel that went flying. She set it down.

“It’s time already Snow?”

Snow-White didn’t answer. She just gave Rose a stern look.

“Okay. Alright. Goodbye, Phillip.” She waved to the baby squirrel. “Goodbye Phillip's ma and pa.” She and Snow ran back home just as Charlotte was setting bowls full of hot porridge on the dining room table. Charlotte looked up to welcome her daughters but was taken by shock.

“Red-Rose! Look at what you’ve done to your wonderful dress.” Rose’s dark blue dress was ripped across the hem and dirt covered the almost every inch of the once beautiful dress. Charlotte covered her mouth with one hand. “And I just made that one.”

“Long dresses always get in my way, obscuring my movement. Why can’t I wear trousers?”

“Trousers! Ah with your crazy ideas. You know it’s socially unacceptable for young girls to wear trousers. Haha!” she laughed.

“So what?” Rose said quite seriously. Her mother didn’t seem to notice.

“Go clean yourself up, Rose. I can never stay mad at you. We’re having beef porridge tonight. Your favorite.”

“No ma, that’s Snow’s favorite. I prefer vegetarian meals.”

“Oh sorry dear, you know my old mind.”

“Ha, she always says she’s a vegetarian but she never says no to beef stew.”

“Shut up Snow.”

“Stop bickering, now go Rose clean up and Snow you go lock the door.”

“Yes ma.”

“Yes mama.” They obeyed.

#

“And we thank you for this meal. Amen.” The small family finished their prayer.

“So how was your day Rose?” Charlotte asked.

“Absolutely wonderful ma----“

“You know, Rose, you really do need to grow up and stop playing with animals,” Snow cut in.

You know, Snow, as it gets closer to our birthday you continue to grow more stuck up.”

“Sixteen! Sixteen, Rose, we’re turning sixteen tomorrow. We can’t afford to play around anymore. We’ll be old enough to get married, for goodness sake.”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean we have to go out to the village or city and pick up a husband tomorrow.”

“She’s right Sn----”

“Don’t you think mama is tired of taking care of us? We should be taking care of ourselves by now. Let’s take the strain off her shoulders.”

“What strain!? Ma loves us to death. I don’t think she ever wants us to leave.”

“Exactl----“

“But Rose, we have to.”

‘But Rose we have to.” Rose mimicked her sister’s voice. Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

“Who could that be?” Charlotte questioned. “No one visits this cottage except for the milkman and paperboy.”

“Maybe it’s an express package of some sort,” Snow said. “I’ll answer it.” She scooted away from the table, but not before long they heard a scream.

“Snow-White!” Rose exclaimed. Rose and Charlotte got up so quickly their chairs hit the floor. From a distance they saw the figure of a huge shadow that soon turned into a moderate-size baby bear cub. Snow-White was standing in shock in front of it.

“Oh dear!” Charlotte proclaimed. She felt a bit dizzy. Rose walked up to her sister, grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back slowly.

Rose stepped toward the bear cub cautiously. She gazed into his warm hazel eyes full of sorrow. “It won’t hurt us,” she whispered.

“Huh?” Snow asked in disbelief.

“It won’t hurt us. It’s just lonely and cold. Can you feel the breeze? Much too cold for a summer night.” She put her hand out to the cub. It reached its paw out to her, laying it in her palm. “See…”

“We can’t bring a wild animal into the house! Especially an untamed bear. It may be alone right now, but all cubs have a mama.”

‘Please, ma, please!” Rose pleaded. Charlotte looked back at Snow-White's scowl then at Red-Rose's somber eyes. She let out a sigh of defeat.

“Alright Rose but it sleeps by the fire.”

“Alright ma!” Rose shouted joyfully. The cub stepped one paw into the house reluctantly looking around. “It’s okay, we won’t hurt you.”

“Unbelievable.” Snow turned her back to them and ran up to her room.

Rose shut the front door as a cold gust of wind flew in. “Really, why is it so cold in the summer?” She locked it tight. She then smiled at the cub who was already huddled comfortably by the fire.

“I’ll take Snow’s supper to her, okay? I’ll be right back.” Charlotte said.

“'Kay, ma. Now little cub, what shall I call you?”

The cub's gaze was pulled toward the light of the moon. She followed its gaze.

“Moon…Moon? Is that your name?”

It then raised its paw toward the lamp that sat in the corner of the room. Rose thought for a moment. Light? Moon-Light? Is that it?” Its eyes widened and it clapped.

“Yay! I got it right. Moon-Light. What a pretty name.”

The bear cub's eyes begin to get a little dozy and he yawned showcasing two full rows of sparkling razor sharp teeth. It then dozed off into a cozy slumber beside the fire. Rose got a blanket and placed it over him.

“Good night Moon-Light.” she said and tiptoed away.

-

Published 
Written by BestAbsolutePerfect
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments