Weird and Wonderful

last reply
38 replies
21.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Everyone has a couple of weird and wonderfull words they know.

lets see who can find the weirdest smile
the only rule is they have to be real, although they can be slang. - by real i just mean cant be made up like the word kugenhaddlebonanaxkasdamottity.... <--- what can i say, i was ten
and also a definition
so happy hunting :)

ICHTHYOPHAGOUS - an animal whos main diet is fish
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"QUOCKER-WODGER"

The term QUOCKERWODGER, although referring to a wooden toy figure which jerks its limbs about when pulled by a string
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Troglodyte.. cave dweller.. hermit.. or as I use it.. a person who doesn't understand simple social skills and adheres to subjective common sense..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love learning new words and phrases but I especially love 'minced oaths' or 'pseudo-profanity' which is/are expressions based on a profanity that have been altered to reduce the objectionable characteristics of the original expression e.g. darn,dang, shoot, heck, flipping, freaking, frigging, fricking, frakking, fecking, goodness, golly, gosh, gee, geez, geeze, or jeez, crikey, criminy and cripes.

I tend to use them in my writing and in real life quite a bit. In fact I didn't even know there was an actual phrase for them.
New Poem out

The Observer
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Shoot Louise.. I didn't know you were so danged into those fricking metaphors for good ol' cusswords.. crikey one could lose his flipping mind trying to figure out whether he's being asked to frigging leave or whether he's gonna get fecked.. goodness it is such a quandary nowadays trying to score.. heck I guess I'll just stick to poetry and the shopping channel..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Shoot Louise.. I didn't know you were so danged into those fricking metaphors for good ol' cusswords.. crikey one could lose his flipping mind trying to figure out whether he's being asked to frigging leave or whether he's gonna get fecked.. goodness it is such a quandary nowadays trying to score.. heck I guess I'll just stick to poetry and the shopping channel..

(giggles)
New Poem out

The Observer
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Giggles - to snicker, snigger, chuckle.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Mumfumbler....a "pseudo-profanity" often used by a former boss of mine...

It is basically a "minced oath" for a common cussword that refers to the frigging of the matriarch of the family...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Administration
0 likes
Zenzizenzizenzic.... very strange word that I do not know the exact meaning of, but my high school math teacher used it often when he was having one of this tantrums. A mathematical term I think, but goes over my head.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
oxymoron - two words or phrases used together that have the opposite meaning, such as jumbo shrimp, short sleeve dress shirt, army intelligence
We don't know how much we don't know.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
nemophilist - one who loves the woods
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
blatherskite: may either be noisy talker of blatant rubbish or the foolish talk or nonsense that such a person spouts.
"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
"If you really want to make a difference, don't over think it, just do it..."
"Scars of life are deeply etched within the minds of curious old souls."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
hamartia - flaw in a character leading to his downfall
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hamertia - tragic flaw
All Alone my latest story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

A German word that means, "A beef labeling regulation & delegation of supervision law".

Or... for an English word...

tittynope- a small quantity of something left over.

💓 Melissa Etheridge - PULSE ( for orlando victims ) 💓 - YouTube

As always, kindness is free, so please consider that when replying to someone rather than the alternatives. You never know what's going on in their life that you may not see. Love, Light & Blessed Be, friends.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ostentatious - > marked by a vulgar display of wealth and success designed to impress people
"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ohheckydarn....for when I can't say what's REALLY on my mind to say...usually when I've done something really 'dumb and stupid" and have managed to hurt myself! lol!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"love"...now isn't THAT weird and wonderful how simple that can be as well as how complex it can be. Be sure to tell someone today that you "love" them...make it someone who will be surprised to hear you say it, too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
discombobulated
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ad nauseum
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I'm surprised no smartarse has said the two most weird and wonderful words ever. In fact, they are so weird and wonderful, that nothing even comes close to either of them. Are you ready? Word number one:

Weird. Truly the weirdest word ever created.

Word number two:

Wonderful. Truly the most wonderful word ever created.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mystic_angel_77
loved this when i saw it on disneys the Loin King..... hakuna matata means no worries

Right, I know you mean LION King, but I have to laugh.... Loin King, lolololol

Sorry.

Anywho... Calorie is my weird word... because it freaks so many women out. If you want to eat something "fattening" just eat it, but not too much of it. Sheesh.

💓 Melissa Etheridge - PULSE ( for orlando victims ) 💓 - YouTube

As always, kindness is free, so please consider that when replying to someone rather than the alternatives. You never know what's going on in their life that you may not see. Love, Light & Blessed Be, friends.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"cherish" ... on the surface we all kinda/sorta know the meaning of this word. But just how deep is the meaning? Is 'cherish' more meaningful than 'love'? Does that word take superiority over love?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
crepitaculum [krep ih TAK yoo lum] this is the technical term for the rattle of a rattlesnake. Of course, by the time you’ve said “I think I perceive a crepitaculum” it’s probably way too late. From a Latin word meaning ‘rattle.’
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by mystic_angel_77
Skirtingboad - wheres the skirt

I think it's maybe something to do with the fact that it goes around and dresses the joint between a wall and the floor, so the board itself is the skirt, as it is skirting around the room. I wouldn't quote me on this, but it seems logical, well, to me, at least.

=^.^=
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by 3rebels4
Kayak. Spelled the same way forwards and backwards.

Yass! I love palindromes smile but isn't it weird that the word palindrome, isn't a palindrome itself?

=^.^=
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
mischievous - definition - able or tending to cause annoyance, trouble, or minor injury

Why does a word that means harmful sound like a woman.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
~purple addict~