Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.1k replies
401k views
16 watchers
917 likes
Crazy old ape
2 likes
Welcome to Inspirations, the new coffee house here on Stories Space.

There’s lots of comfy chairs and a couple couches around the room. The fireplace is burning to take off the chill and add some ambience. Over on the far wall is the coffee bar, with an assortment of varieties and flavours. There’s also hot water and some fine teas for those so inclined. You can get baked goods and other snacks, including healthy options like fruit, from the neighbouring all-day continental breakfast bar. It’s a friendly place to meet friends and chat.

So, come on in and grab a brew and a chair. Let's get to know each other. What’s up? How’s life going? Got any interesting writing or other projects on the go? What’s new in your world?

N.B. We like to keep the conversation friendly and light around here, so maybe avoid controversial topics like politics. Anything that gets too heated will be moved to its own thread.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Story Moderator
0 likes
I don't drink coffee but I love the idea of a coffee house here. I think I will have some fruit and hopefully some sort of decadently unhealthy donut.

I am currently trying to plan for having 18 people at Thanksgiving. How much food to cook, where to cook it, etc.

I have four of my Canadian in-laws coming for the week. Two have never been out of Newfoundland or been on a plane. They want to experience an American Thanksgiving.

It should be an interesting week. But the burning question consuming my family at the moment is what kind of pies are we having.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by gillianleeza
I don't drink coffee but I love the idea of a coffee house here. I think I will have some fruit and hopefully some sort of decadently unhealthy donut.

I am currently trying to plan for having 18 people at Thanksgiving. How much food to cook, where to cook it, etc.

I have four of my Canadian in-laws coming for the week. Two have never been out of Newfoundland or been on a plane. They want to experience an American Thanksgiving.

It should be an interesting week. But the burning question consuming my family at the moment is what kind of pies are we having.

18? Ouch. My family's Christmas gatherings topped out at 17 a few years ago, but then dropped a couple. May be up again going forward since the kids are all old enough to start finding partners, though only my eldest nephew has done so to date.

As for pie, apple and pumpkin are the traditional fall pies around here but not sure about the Newfies. I prefer the latter myself.

And what other drinks should we stock? Maybe a fridge with some juices and pop?

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Lurker
0 likes
The aroma of coffee wafts about my bookshop. Coffee of month the being, Pumpkin Spice. My wife's parents are coming down from Canada to spend the Holidays with us. This will be their first time in America. It should be fun and inspirational. Remind to tell you how I met my wife. Now a citizen with a French accent.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Adagio
The aroma of coffee wafts about my bookshop. Coffee of month the being, Pumpkin Spice. My wife's parents are coming down from Canada to spend the Holidays with us. This will be their first time in America. It should be fun and inspirational. Remind to tell you how I met my wife. Now a citizen with a French accent.

Pumpkin Spice?????

Now you must tell us how you met your wife sweet man.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Pumpkin spice belongs in pumpkin pie. In coffee or tea it's just a weird chai and I'd rather have a proper Indian chai.

(I'm a bit of a grump, aren't I?)

That said, we have both hot caffeinated beverages in that flavour for those who like it. Hey, this place is virtual. If you want a flavour, it exists.hn8j9Be7fEPxZWQp

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Pumpkin spice belongs in pumpkin pie. In coffee or tea it's just a weird chai and I'd rather have a proper Indian chai.

(I'm a bit of a grump, aren't I?)

That said, we have both hot caffeinated beverages in that flavour for those who like it. Hey, this place is virtual. If you want a flavour, it exists.KugrPQ5weyhjx3Wi

Cooooool.... had this once... it's chai tea ice cream! ... wait... we do have ice cream don't we????

Is it alright to post pics? ... or are we 'conversational' only????
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by hayley

I just put in a fridge for.cold drinks and haven't done anything with the freezer yet so...

And pics are cool. Just don't get carried away.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Monday is 5th November!

Remember, remember
The 5th of November
Gunpowder
Treason
and Plot

Sooooo.... who's letting off fireworks Monday night??????
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Too cold and wet. We get a brief respite from the latter tomorrow, and it's iffy for the rest of the week.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by hayley

I just put in a fridge for.cold drinks and haven't done anything with the freezer yet so...

And pics are cool. Just don't get carried away.

Cooool! .. Don't worry sweet man, I don't get carried away anymore .. it's bloody dangerous! My friends had a habit of dropping me as they carried me out. Something about friends who can't hold their drink. (ke)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Too cold and wet. We get a brief respite from the latter tomorrow, and it's iffy for the rest of the week.

Just a big bonfire then?

I think it's only right we celebrate the memory of Guido (Guy) Fawkes. Afterall he was the first man to enter a Parliament with the right idea biggrin
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I wonder if this awesome thread should have it's own topic space rather than being part of the Break Room or anything else for that matter?????
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by hayley
I wonder if this awesome thread should have it's own topic space rather than being part of the Break Room or anything else for that matter?????

Made most sense here to start. Like the suggestion. I will see what others think.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Just back from some weekend shopping. I got a large chrysanthemum. To plant in the area around my sycamore in front. It will fill in a gap next to other mums.

All the other groceries and sundries are put away so I could use a cuppa java, if you please, while I listen to French cafe music.

Cheers, all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
Just back from some weekend shopping. I got a large chrysanthemum. To plant in the area around my sycamore in front. It will fill in a gap next to other mums.

All the other groceries and sundries are put away so I could use a cuppa java, if you please, while I listen to French cafe music.

Cheers, all.

You brought a tear to my eye... you must play TAPESTRY... you will understand.. most here won't.
What a legacy he left on the cafe scene here in France.
Chasing Dragons
1 like
Do you serve this in your coffee house?

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

Cheers, all.

You brought a tear to my eye... you must play TAPESTRY... you will understand.. most here won't.

Do you mean Tapestry by Carole King? That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

I expect they serve cocoa here if the machine has hot water to make the instant stuff.
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

Cheers, all.

Do you mean Tapestry by Carole King? That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

I expect they serve cocoa here if the machine has hot water to make the instant stuff.

I was wondering the same thing, Larry, especially since here in France, where I live, the music in cafés is usually raucous and more likely to be Lou Reed and Walk on the Wild Side.

I kid you not...
👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes
Quote by gillianleeza

Apple pie
Cherry pie
Pumpkin pie
Sweet potato pie
Blueberry pie
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Survivor
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

Cheers, all.

I was wondering the same thing, Larry, especially since here in France, where I live, the music in cafés is usually raucous and more likely to be Lou Reed and Walk on the Wild Side.

I kid you not...

I've tried several time to post the music I am listening to here on this thread. For some reason it won't allow me to do it. But, basically, I go to youtube and search for French cafe music and I get lots of stuff with accordians. Very happy, uplifting things.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Should be able to post videos here, just like any other thread. I can't do it because I am on my phone and the YouTube doesn't seem to give embed codes.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Here is some music.

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

Cheers, all.

Don't know much about Carol King sorry, although I know she is a rage from the past as a song writer/singer. Is 'Tapestry' the name of an album by her?.

Not all French Cafes blurt out accordian music 24 hours. Some even have DJ's at night, especially at the weekends. I do rather like accordian music though and if you are really deeply immersed do you listen to Swiss and Bavarian? Especially the latter.

Back to Paris ... late night over an over heavy Bordeaux or coffee and cognac you can find a softer more melancholy background...

The 'Tapestry' I spoke of is by Charles Aznavour.. it's actually called 'A Tapestry Of Dreams' ... my uncle gave me it when he was clearing out his old vinyls. I have only really listened to the French and German ones .. plus a few Greek. He parted with over 1600 of them .. I should look for Carole King?
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
This maybe?

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

Cheers, all.

Don't know much about Carol King sorry, although I know she is a rage from the past as a song writer/singer. Is 'Tapestry' the name of an album by her?.

Not all French Cafes blurt out accordian music 24 hours. Some even have DJ's at night, especially at the weekends. I do rather like accordian music though and if you are really deeply immersed do you listen to Swiss and Bavarian? Especially the latter.

Back to Paris ... late night over an over heavy Bordeaux or coffee and cognac you can find a softer more melancholy background...

The 'Tapestry' I spoke of is by Charles Aznavour.. it's actually called 'A Tapestry Of Dreams' ... my uncle gave me it when he was clearing out his old vinyls. I have only really listened to the French and German ones .. plus a few Greek. He parted with over 1600 of them .. I should look for Carole King?

Oh, what a shame. Charles Aznavour just passed away. I did love his work. He was a protege of Edith Piaf, I think. I have one of her songs here on my profile (Non, je ne regrette rien) and one of his, as well (La bohme). Carole King was a songstress for my generation in the 70s. Tapestry is an album and a song on that album.