Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Random Moment, Part 13: A Surprising Moment

"What on earth is happening?"

3
2 Comments 2
1.5k Views 1.5k
872 words 872 words
The last van load was finally delivered to Rufus’ flat.

“Wow, it’s finally official,” Cynthia sighed.

“Not yet,” Rufus smiled.

“Huh?” Cynthia was confused.

“Here you go!” Rufus fished a key out of his pocket and gave it to Cynthia, “now it’s official! Now, let’s get the last of this unpacked,” he grinned.

“I know something else we could do that would be just as tiring,” Cynthia winked.

“Okay! You’re naughty!”

Rufus paid his friend for helping Cynthia with her move and ran into the house with her in tow, giggling together. Cynthia kicked the front door closed and kissed Rufus passionately. Rufus giggled around the kiss and Cynthia pulled away, running into their bedroom.

“Come and get me!” She shouted.

‘I love this girl,’ Rufus thought.

Rufus ran into the bedroom and jumped on top of Cynthia.

“Mr Hatfield, what are you gonna do to me?” Cynthia giggled.

“This!” Rufus giggled and kissed Cynthia all over.

Cynthia giggled and then gasped. Amy was standing there with a big blush on her face. She looked as if she wanted to ask the loved up pair something, but she decided to do her disappearing act that she does when she’s too shy.

“What’s up, Amy?” They both asked at the same time.

“Um... This is odd,” Amy looked scared.

“What is it? Tell me!” Rufus was getting scared now.

“Watch.”

Amy walked over to the dresser and put her hand out. She slowly put her hand on a tub of lotion. What happened surprised them all.

“See? I’ve never been able to touch anything, let alone lift it.”

“Rufus, I think you were right to get Claire’s number. I think you should phone her tonight,” Cynthia suggested.

“Me too,” Amy said, almost pleading.

Rufus picked up the phone and called Claire. It was a short phone call, but she agreed to come over that night after work.

“As if me being a ghost isn’t weird enough, but me being able to touch stuff? That’s just bonkers!” Amy laughed, still spooked by her newfound power.

There came a knock at the door, a few hours later. It was Claire with a bottle of wine.

“You sounded a bit worried on the phone, so brought some meds,” Claire smiled, holding up the bottle of wine.

“Much obliged,” Rufus smiled back, inviting her into the flat.

“Hey, Cynthia, Amy, how are you all?” Claire asked.

Amy looked shy and on the verge of disappearing.

“Oh. Did I say something wrong?”

“Watch,” Amy told Claire, looking embarrassed, but also somewhat smug.

Once more, she reached out and lifted a couple of wine glasses, putting them on the counter.

“Did you just?” Claire gasped, dumbfounded.

“Yeah, weird, right?” Amy asked.

Claire knew exactly what was going on. It was just as Rufus had dreamed.

“Well, I think we all need a glass of wine after that!” Claire said, pouring three generous glasses, “it’s a pity you can’t drink,” Claire turned to Amy, an oddly optimistic tone was in her voice, as if to say yet.

She went on to explain what she thought was happening and what she thought would happen next. Rufus, Amy and Cynthia listened intently. They couldn’t quite believe what they were hearing.

“So, what you’re saying is that some day, I might become real? Like in Rufus’ dream?”

“In theory. There aren’t that many recorded cases, but it is possible, if you’re loved enough. The mere fact that you can touch things is proof enough of you being loved,” Claire explained.

“Cool!” Amy grinned.

“You could sit on furniture too, right?”

“Yeah.”

“When did that first happen?” Claire asked.

“I always could.”

“Well, sounds like you’ve got a better chance of coming back than a lot of ghosts.”

Rufus and Cynthia sat at the kitchen counter in a haze of blithering idiocy.

“Claire, could I have made this happen?” Rufus asked, almost scared to hear the answer.

“I think it was all of you,” Claire answered, “the fact that you all love each other brought you together and made it possible. The bonds between you all are strong and it’s quite obvious that you are all supposed to be together.”

Claire sighed as she said this. She looked into her rapidly depleting wine glass and thought about her own love life. She had nobody and hadn’t had anyone for a very long time. This all just made her lonely, but also happy for Rufus, Cynthia and Amy.

“I should go home now, it’s pretty late,” Claire said after a few hours and glasses of wine.

“Stay here the night, we’re all pretty drunk and tired,” Rufus offered.

“You don’t mind?”

“Cynthia? Do you mind?” Rufus asked.

“Not at all, you should stay, Claire,” Cynthia smiled.

“Okay, I’ll stay. I’ve got the day off tomorrow, so might as well.”

“Then it’s settled.”

Rufus made up the spare room for Claire and they all hugged each other goodnight.

In the morning, they all woke up with croaking throats. What they saw next left them needing something a lot stronger than water.
Published 
Written by Circle_Something
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments