Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Random Moment: Part Seven, The Day After

"It's hotting up..."

3
3 Comments 3
1.4k Views 1.4k
996 words 996 words
Rufus and Cynthia sat enjoying the company of each other. In each other’s arms, they felt peaceful, their minds at rest and their noisy souls seeming to calm each other.

They awoke in the morning in a rush. Cynthia had to get to work and Rufus was late to see a client.

“So, Rufus, wanna meet after work? We can go back to mine this time.”

“Okay, same wee cafe?”

“Yeah, that place is becoming ours,” Cynthia yawned.

“Innit just? Well I’ve only got one PC and an Xbox to fix today, so I’ll getcha there.”

“Cool. Ya ready to go?”

“Yup, hang on, let’s see if we can scadge a lift off my neighbour,” Rufus smiled peeking through the curtain.

Rufus ran out to his neighbour, Jim, and asked him if he was going into the city centre.

“Sure I am, want a lift?”

“If you don’t mind, thanks. Hop in, Cynthia.”

“Thanks,” Cynthia shyly said, blushing a bit.

“So, where do you work, anyway?” Rufus asked.

“Oh, you know that wee call centre just outside town? Yeah, it’s the place next to it, the big electrical shop.”

“Cool. Jim, you’re going that way, aren’t you?”

“Yup.”

The car journey was somewhat awkward, but at least Cynthia didn’t have to get soaked or frozen in the rain, which seemed like it might last forever, having had very little break in the past few days.

“Here?” Jim asked Cynthia, stopping outside the electrical shop.

“This’ll do. See you at the cafe, Rufus?” Cynthia got out of the car.

“Yup, usual time?”

“Yeah,” Cynthia leaned into the open window and gave Rufus a peck on the cheek and Rufus returned fire.

Jim took off and Rufus and Cynthia waved to each other.

“So, what’s going on there?” Jim asked.

“Nothing, we’re just friends.”

“You’re blushing, you only do that when something’s going on, tell me,” Jim grinned.

“Get that rictus off, nothing’s going on.”

“Aye, I believe you! Anyway, where you going today? I’ll drop you off.”

“Actually, I just need to get some stock, so drop us off at Craplin. Weird, I thought I had more to do today, stupid brain!”

“Okay.”

The pair sat in silence, comfortably, while Jim ferried Rufus to his destination.

“Don’t you have to go to work today?” Rufus broke the silence.

“No, day off. I was just going to the shops there.”

“I see.”

Jim dropped Rufus off at the electronics shop.

“Want me to stick around?”

“Nah, it’s cool, I’ll be quite a while in here, don’t want you getting bored waiting.”

“Okay, just gimmie a buzz if you need picked up.”

“Will do.”

Rufus entered the shop and put his music on to whatever it was he was listening to last time.

‘Rob Zombie, eh? Good shopping music.’

He found what he wanted and paid up.

‘Much as I like Jim, he’s a bit of a nuisance with his incessant twitter about twaddle. I’ll just get the bus home and get that Xbox fixed,’ Rufus thought to himself.

The bus journey was long and boring, but he had his music, internet and, more importantly, thoughts of Cynthia. He smiled at the thought of seeing her again.

“What’s wrong with you today? You’re all over the place, Cynthia!” Her boss mocked.

‘I fucking hate you, quit mocking me, bitch. Fucking choke you with that cable!’ Cynthia thought wickedly.

“Nothing, I’m fine. A bit tired, is all,” she said sweetly, as if she wasn’t having murderous, though quite justified, thoughts.

“Stop going to bed so late then!”

“Yes, Ma’am!” Cynthia sarcastically saluted.

There was an air of boredom about Cynthia’s day and she just couldn’t wait to get out and see Rufus again.

While at lunch, Cynthia sat in the cafeteria at work and thought of Rufus.

“Cynthia, CYNTHIA!” Her friend shouted.

“Hey, huh, what?” Cynthia was startled from her pleasant thoughts.

“Wow, million miles away, weren’t you?”

“Yeah, sorry... What’cha saying?”

“Oh, nothing, really. Who’s the guy, though?”

“Guy? There’s no guy!” Cynthia smiled.

“I can see there is, you’re all flustered and blushy,” her friend poked her in the ribs.

“Ow, quit it!”

“Whatever, just don’t get too hung up on him, he might not feel the same way.”

‘Like you’d know,’ Cynthia thought.

“Anyway, better get back to work before the slave-driver thinks we’re slacking,” Cynthia’s friend ran off to sell some more crap.

‘Ho hum.’

Cynthia went through her day like a zombie, so when her shift ended, she was quite happy.

'Rufus, here I come!’

She practically ran out of the door and caught the early bus to the cafe. Rufus was already there and had a cup of tea waiting for Cynthia.

“You’re such a gentleman!” Cynthia giggled.

Rufus got out of his chair and hugged Cynthia, then pulled her chair out for her.

“Carrot cake, milady?”

“Oh, don’t mind if I do, young sir!”

They fell about laughing at each other’s corny, phony-English accents. They talked about their day and how they couldn’t wait to see one another.

“Hey, so crazy question: How do you fancy dinner and a movie?” Rufus asked with trepidation in his voice.

“Tonight?”

“Yeah, my treat.”

“Okay, did you have a place in mind?”

“Well, I know this wee place. It’s pretty dingy, but the food is excellent. It’s not far from here, either.”

“Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Cynthia bristled with excitement.

“Okay, let’s.”

Rufus took Cynthia by the hand and led her to the dingy-looking restaurant. The place was dim, yet warmly lit and had an air of romance to it. Cynthia and Rufus waited to be seated, only once seated, did their date begin in earnest...
Published 
Written by Circle_Something
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments