Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Biscuits and Gravy for Breakfast

"The Kitchen Gods strike again!"

5
4 Comments 4
1.3k Views 1.3k
335 words 335 words
I decided to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast today. I can't make biscuits from scratch any better than by using Bisquick, and that eliminates a lot of measuring and fiddling. So I got out the box of Bisquick, and read the recipe on the side panel.

Bisquick recipe is: (edited for brevity)

2-1/4 C Bisquick 
2/3 C milk
Mix to soft ball stage and dump out. 
Knead ten times. 
1/4" thick 
Cut into biscuits 
450 oven - 8-10 mins.
Yield: 9-10

I thought, I'll just make half a batch, cause I don't need ten biscuits, so I carefully measured out 1-1/8 cups of Bisquick (3T=1/4C, and 3t=1T) I put in 2T and took out 1t. - I was being really careful.

Then I mixed up a cup of milk (I use dry milk, because it 's easier to store).

What happened next is one of those things that can only be blamed on the impish nature of the Kitchen Gods. You know them: they're the ones that make you forget to turn the oven on. Half an hour after you put the chicken in, the timer goes off, and you open the oven to turn the chicken for the last fifteen minutes, and find the ghostly white pieces staring up at you, with their little goose-bumpy skin, shivering in the cold.

If you stay on your guard, and keep your wits about you, they are easy to thwart. You DO have to stay on your guard, though, or the chicken will be cold, and dinner late; the rhubarb pie will have no sugar in it; the cake will not rise, and your bunt ring will just look like a yellow tire, and be about as edible.

But, I was not on my guard. The Kitchen Gods struck. I picked up the blue glass measuring cup full of milk, and dumped it into the bowl.

The biscuits are baking now.

I have a baker's dozen.

It's a good thing that I have room in the freezer.

Published 
Written by DLizze
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments