Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Closing Time

"A bartender and a photojournalist talk"

8
9 Comments 9
1.2k Views 1.2k
427 words 427 words

“Excuse me. Is the bar still open?”

I look up from cleaning to see an older male with an overly patched burlap messenger bag that has seen better days. I motion for the man to sit down at a table that doesn’t have its chairs upturned.

“The bar is closed for the night, but I can get you something. What would you like?” I asked.

“A dirty martini,” he replied.

“Extra gritty, double olives?”

“It’s the only way I roll.”

As I made his martini, I took in this mystery man. Lanky with dark shaggy hair, salt and pepper beard, cigarette burns on his denim jacket, dark blue jeans, well-worn sneakers and eyes that have seen a lot in his travels. He opens his bag, pulling out a notebook, laptop, and two cameras.

“Are you a photographer?” I ask him, sitting his drink down in front of his laptop.

“Yes I am,” he answered. “I’m Alan Jankowski, world-renowned rock and roll photojournalist. I just came back into town from a world tour with a band I began photographing back in the early eighties. I took pictures and videos that I can email. I’m getting my final book published at the end of this year.”

“Cool. Did you get any shots on your Exakta66 camera?”

“I’m guessing you’re a photographer as well.”

“Yes. What’s your favorite medium to shoot?”

“I like to shoot in color. Sometimes, I get some black and white on my digital camera. The Exakta is strictly for black and white shots. Would you like to see what I got on my laptop?”

I sat next to Alan as he turned on his laptop. For some reason, he had a picture of a penguin as his wallpaper. I turned my attention to a folder he opened and saw a black and white image of a vintage 1960 Gibson Les Paul guitar, cover of an early Albert King blues album, and a variety of pictures that included a matured potato plant and a dead bee.

We talked for several hours about life, including his decision to retire from being on the road as a photojournalist.

“Sharon, is it okay if I use your studio to develop the final rolls of film next week?”

“Of course. I’ll give you my address.”

Several months later, a package and a letter arrived at my bar. In the package were four hundred twenty rolls of film, his obituary, a picture of the neon sign from my bar and the final book he published.

 

Published 
Written by ladysharon
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments