Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The end of the line

"A bus driver's quick thinking lands his passengers in a predicament."

1
1 Comment 1
1.4k Views 1.4k
369 words 369 words
It was a wonder how any of us survived. Speaking from the scene of the wreck, I, a lowly traveler along with my fellow passengers lay scattered along the roadside on Route 42 to Elmsworth.

Being one of five survivors proved to be quite a task. First, I made sure all of our wounds were sutured. Each person was able to walk and the city wasn't far. Jamie stayed beside me through the entire journey along the well traveled desert road, her hair rested in a loose braid in the middle of her shoulder blades. I wanted to touch it, to hold her and kiss away the longing in her eyes. Still we had an objective to focus on.

The rest of our little group lagged behind and talked amongst themselves as I held onto her hand. Every pain in me faded away, like it hadn't been there in the first place. My bruises were no longer sore. The gash across my mid section felt well enough to heal on its own and it did surprisingly.

We kicked up sand in our wake. The winds took it high into the cloud free skies, where the scavengers patiently hovered with their wings outstretched. Just beyond a gathering of abandoned huts on the outskirts was our destination and it looked to be closer than we had been to it a few hours ago.

Each tall block shaped building could in all probability house two of us comfortably. I was curious and ran inside with Jamie in tow.

"There's running water!"

I shouted to the rest of them. Jamie shrieked excitedly and scooped some of the refreshing coldness into her hands, poured it down her low cut top and stared at me as her fingers gently grazed the plunging neckline of her shirt. I moved closer. She offered herself to me with a smile.

"Stay with us, Bryan. Please. Eyes up here."

I felt her warm embrace, gave myself over to its comforting grasp and laid my burdens down.

"We're losing him. Are the rest of them coming around?"

-"He's the only one, sir."

"A search and rescue mission suddenly becomes one of recovery. Okay. You all know what to do."

-End-
Published 
Written by OHT
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments