Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Snag

"A burned tree, that looked like a wizard, was removed to clean the land."

0
0 Comments 0
1.4k Views 1.4k
244 words 244 words
The snag on the corner looked like a wizard. The tree was a part of hedge of green poplars that had been planted long ago by Old Man Tolkie, a Norwegian ship-builder who had lived near here in a house with a roof that was shaped like a ship's bow.

The tree became a snag because it was the tallest tree at the top of the hill, and it got hit by lightning and burned. The twenty-foot tall, staff-holding, dark wizard looked down on the valley. His presence must have made Mr. Stipe uneasy. The old farmer got out a tank of fuel and a propane torch and set about cleaning up the piles of brush, burning weeds, and removing the imposing snag from the borders of his property.

I drove up the hill to watch the wizard burn. The evening sky was a flat slate. A shooting star streaked down to the dark mountains. I stood in spellbound awe of his blazing magical glory, until the sky was dark. The moment I turned, relaxed and took a real breath...BASH...he fell. Sparks rolled up like a spell had been cast.

The next morning was Easter. I saddled my horse and went up the road to take a look at what was left of the wizard. There was a white ash outline of the corpse on the ground. Burned for his witchcraft, purged white, with his heart flickering small sparks of magic, still.

Published 
Written by fallingdove
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors