Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Prey

"Might continue this in the future"

0
0 Comments 0
58 Views 58
620 words 620 words

It was when the clock struck midnight that our eyes met across the golden ballroom. His darkened gaze sent an icy finger trailing down my spine. I watched as he weaved through women in extravagant gowns and men in polished suits. Effortlessly keeping his eyes fixated on me.

Suddenly, someone stuck the gong. Sound waves vibrated throughout the room and my bones. I instinctively clutched a hand to my chest while searching for the blare's source. A duke lifted his crystal goblet of wine and toasted to a night of festivities.

“You are to meet me in the gardens in five minutes, my darling,” a bass tone whispered in my ear. His breath was oddly cold as he uttered his demands.

I turned around but the source was gone. I panned the room desperately searching for the man from earlier but there was no trace. I stood in place pondering as guest's murmurs clouded my senses. A flurry of emotions rushed over me in quick succession. Furious that someone would attempt to command me. Afraid that this stranger could harm me. Curious of this man’s intentions with me.

After a handful of minutes, I felt my body move towards open windows that led to the garden grounds. I felt a force behind me ushering me closer and closer but when I turned back, there was no one there.
No one seemed to notice my strange behaviour as I exited out of the arched windows.

The moon peered through the clouds, barely illuminating my path. The hedges appeared black in the dark of night. The voices from the party dimmed with each step forward. I maneuvered my way around flower gardens and shadowed topiary until I reached a stone water fountain. Even at this hour, it continued to flow effortlessly. “What am I even doing here?” I uttered to my liquid reflection.

“Destiny,” the voice from earlier boomed assertively.

I whipped around and there he stood. He donned a black suit with silver embroidered embellishments. In the shadows, his red glowing eyes pierced right through me. I stood frozen in place as he sauntered closer to me. It was only when he got close that I truly realized how his stature loomed over me. I felt my breath quicken, a bead of sweat fall from my brow and my stomach somersault. He slowly reached out, grabbed my chin and lifted it to meet his gaze.

“What could be the matter, little love?” he whispered sweetly with a soft smile.

It was then in the moonlight that I could see his pearly white fangs reflected in the moonlight. I should have protested, I should have run, I should have fought. Instead, I could only croak out a measly, “Nothing,” in response. A sly chuckle escaped his lips as he released his grasp.

“There’s not a single thing in this world as delicious as a lady with a deathwish,” he growled. He then placed a hand on the small of my back and brought me closer to him. His scent of crisp musk enveloped me. The foreground blurred and sounds muted. The world around me fell away, piece by piece until all that remained was him and I.

He trailed a single finger down my cheek and neck. My body quivered beneath him as he brushed my hair to the side. Without a whisper, I intuitively tilted my head to the side exposing my neck. With a sharp hiss, his fangs pierced my skin. I tried to scream but there was no sound. He jolted my body as he locked himself in place. My vision darkened until all that remained were the guttural noises of this beautiful stranger drinking his fill.

Published 
Written by SilverJaye
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors