Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Her Story

"This should never have happened, lets stop domestic violence"

9
7 Comments 7
1.6k Views 1.6k
516 words 516 words
It was late 2008 and after an argument with her partner over typical relationship issues, in this case finances. She was taken up to the local emergency department by an ambulance, as she had two cuts on her head, blood running down her face and bruises over her body. At the hospital she was admitted through emergency, who contacted the police.

She saw a doctor who treated the injuries. The first, a cut above the right eye and the second on the top of her head which both required seven stitches. That was from where her head had connected with the timber shelves in the bathroom. The doctor checked the bruises on her chest and back and then turned his focus her swollen eye that was already turning black.

The police came to the hospital and spoke to the doctors getting a full medical report. Before they came and spoke to her and taking a brief general statement and asking her to attend the station at a later time after she was released from hospital.

Later that day at the station she gave a formal statement and they scheduled a time the next day so photos of the injuries could be taken. The police officers told her that they were going to submit an application to the court for a Domestic Violence Order and her partner would be charged with Assault causing bodily harm. After signing all the necessary documents she was free to go back to the house that was her home.

The next day as arranged she went back to the station and met with their forensic photographer and had many photos taken. These along with her statement and the statements of the neighbours would be used in evidence in court at a later time if it went to trial.

She was scared, frightened and all alone and not sure what or who she could trust, so she withdrew into herself. Not sure who gave her a card with community support organisations phone numbers (thinking it was the hospital). She contacted a local community organisation called Working Against Violence Support Service, a free service better known as WAVSS.

At WAVSS she got support and help from people who had been there, so really understood. They gave her options and one on one counselling and helped her design and make exit plans. Giving her all the options and letting her know that no matter what the argument had been about, no one has the right to put their hands on anyone without their expressed consent. Slowly minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, she slowly started to rebuild her life as her injuries faded.

The matter went to court within a week of the incident and the Domestic Violence Order or DVO was granted. The Assault causing bodily harm took a lot longer and was heard in the end about three months later after multiple adjournments. The out come there was really only a slap on the wrist as all he got was three year good behaviour bond and that was it.

THE END

Published 
Written by aussie_kitty77
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments