Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
One Singular Sensation

8
8 Comments 8
1.1k Views 1.1k
620 words 620 words
It is just a possibility. Our local community theatre is considering offering A Chorus Line in the next season of shows. Just a simple consideration. Everyone understands that we would need a lot of committed and talented dancers to pull this off. No one can be sure our local community can provide at least twenty-six people for such a production. It will especially be difficult to find fourteen men to fill the company along with the dozen ladies.

The theater is presenting two workshops and allowing anyone to join in just to determinate the interest of the local actors and dancers. It is thought that any dancers who are available will jump at the chance to be part of A Chorus Line. At one time it was the longest running broadway play ever. For a while. Until Cats came along.

Anyway, it was fun to watch video of the original cast and hear the book. I mean, a lot of the characters in that first show were presented as having been born in the 1940s. Really. The first performance of A Chorus Line was in 1975 on Broadway. Understand? This is 2016 today. Over forty years ago. And our community theatre is now trying to find people to fill roles in this day and age. Trying to find talent and enthusiasm.

People are even posting on Facebook and Twitter. Trying to get dancers and singers - and actors, of course - to try out for our production. The Director of the theatre has her doubts. But that's her function. To have doubts. It will always be up to her to finalize a coming season of shows. The real money makers. And the ones that are good, or interesting, or artistic, but will be lucky to break even in their audience draw.

On Wednesday was the first workshop. About seventeen people showed up to take part. We were divided into two groups. Some of us went to the practice dance studio to learn the opening dance routine with the choreographer. The rest were allowed to display their singing talents with the musical director. I was with the dancing group.

It's to be understood that I am sixty-eight years old. Right? I have no right to be trying to be a part of A Chorus Line. I only began taking dance lessons a year or so ago. I've now taken ballet, jazz, and modern dance classes. I'm still an incredible novice. But it's such a blast for me. Every chance I get to play with real people of talent and ability I take it. So there I was.

And it was incredible fun. I may not dance like a professional but I can sing. And along with the dancing there is singing and acting. I can sing. And I can act.

The first workshop was fun and I was happy to show up for the second one on Saturday. Along with forty-one other people. Yes, I was the only person to appear twice, so that means a total of fifty-nine have been to the workshops, and learned the opening dance routine, and gone over the music. This may actually be happening.

If they decide to proceed we'll have the real auditions in May and then the production itself will go into rehearsals in August for performances to happen three weekends in September. We're looking at perhaps ten to twelve shows. I'm so looking forward to it.

In the play itself one part is the director and choreographer. That's a role I can certainly fill. Even at my age. I may yet be part of this great play. There will still be the auditions to get through, though.

So tell me to break a leg.

Published 
Written by Survivor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments