Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Gidealis Enigma Chapter 54

"Demi must make a tough decision, but will it help save the erahis?"

3
4 Comments 4
642 Views 642
1.5k words 1.5k words
Chapter 54 A Tough Decision

The diamond in my hand is as heavy as his love. I would carry it around for my sake, but now it seems like the whole Universe is getting aggravated and tired of carrying Kallitris the sheirer.

“I dare you to try and break it. You will realize that it is impossible.”

With that he takes my hand, and leads me away. We go downstairs to the hangar. I look at the huge hall, filled with flying spacecraft of various sizes and for a multitude of purposes. Kallitris shows me one of the destroyers.

All the while I search my mind for the emergency button, and find it right by the wall that separates me from the Faith Star. I’m doubtful about pressing it and exposing the man I love, but the cruel order of an imminent attack rings in my ears. I can’t stop him alone.

The machine in front of me towers really big, black and menacing. The sheirer points to it with a gesture worthy of a king, bestowing a castle to his loyal servant.

“I want you to have it. Once the work is done, it will be yours!”

Did he ask me if I wanted it? That’s my guy for you! He will tell you what you want, and you’ll be fine! Just obey the orders!

Kallitris becomes exceptionally sweet, and hugs me tenderly. He is handsome and attractive. He is also very humanly masculine, although this image has very little to do with his actual appearance.

I see the button in my mind. It is lilac colored with purple mist swirling around it in tiny curls. I stretch my hand to hit it. I can hit it with just the desire to do it, but somehow I need to give myself another minute of thought.

“I want us to be together forever!” Kallitris whispers in my ear.

This man is so out of the ordinary, so resplendent in his vast ancient knowledge and abilities. He won’t be easy to replace… I wonder if he is searching my mind now, and if he does, can he see the button? Does he know what it is? Assessing this risk gives me nothing, because my emotions get in the way. I yield to the feeling of his closeness. I love him, too and I’m tempted to give up everything and just follow his damned orders.

I despise his ways, but I adore his radiant smile, his enticing manners, his rugged, yet compelling looks. I can’t bear the idea of breaking up with him. Or pressing that button in my mind.

“Demi, where are you? I sent the signal to Almaz. Do you think he noticed? Observe him carefully. Do you think he’s going to trace it?” Oh my God, this is Salix sending me the telepathic message.

I can’t answer him right now. I distract Kallitris by kissing him passionately just in case he was searching through my mind. I actually enjoy that kiss. Maybe for the last time. The wave of sadness hits me and I can feel its bitter taste.

“Get in! Feel yourself at home!” Kallitris pushes me towards the destroyer.

I nod and follow the order. The inside of the destroyer is not much different from any other of his spacecraft, but vastly different from my Arileot14 because of all kinds of buttons and a dashboard with lights. Kallitris likes outdated human technology.

I put my hand in the imprint on the dashboard. The screen to the left lights up, but there is more to the connection. The ship’s mind interfaces with my parasite, and I download the information directly into my brain. This destroyer contains three bombs with a deadly gas mixture that includes carbon monoxide.

The idea is to kill the erahis but not damage the buildings made of tellurium. The rest of the mixture’s formula is unclear to me, so are Kallitris’s thoughts. He can’t possibly plan to make much damage to the enormous city with just three bombs…

“It’s just the beginning, Demi. You’re going to release these three, then I will release the rest from the base ship! Then we’ll move to the next city.” The voice behind penetrates my whole being sharply, ruthlessly. Kallitris apparently got in after me and is now standing by my side with his hand on my shoulder.

I love him, and yet I cringe at his sudden intrusion into my private space, and my head!! I got to make up my mind about him! My boyfriend’s eyes explode in a rainbow of colors as he anticipates an unprovoked attack on a city of completely peaceful people. Unbelievable.

Ok, I get it. He wants me to go first and be his envoy of terror, so to speak. Then he is going to finish it. I shake off my fascination with the sheirer, and find the emergency button in my mind, now glowing mystic purple. Must. Press. The button. Now.

“Demi, are you with him?”

“Not now, Salix!”

Damn. If he hasn’t found out yet, he will now!

“Demi, The city is being evacuated. Start the bombing from the East, that part is already deserted. The South districts are the slowest. We are about to enter the atmosphere. The people know they are out of time. So, whatever you do, do not fly South. We have three hospitals there, and the authorities have no choice but to take the people underground into the Scientific Center nearby. The gas should not get there, but just in case, please, do not…”

The message suddenly interrupts. Kallitris is looking at me with a smile. I freeze with fear. Did he notice and broke the transmission? Colors and shadows dance in his eyes, I can’t know what he is thinking! I’m so weak now. The strength seems to have left me altogether. If I make a mistake, there will be a terrible massacre.

This is where I feel a fragrance of Iris’s perfume. It fills my nose and my body. It is soothing and sweet. How can it be? A soft waft of purple energy flies across the dashboard of the destroyer and Kallitris does not seem to notice. I feel calm and satisfied. Whatever happens, I must protect the defenseless erahis. There will be no more bloodshed. I smile back at Kallitris, and press the emergency button in my mind.

Nothing happens.

What is supposed to happen? Now, that I left Leot no time to respond? What if he does not hear me? What if he does not show up?

OK, Plan B it is. Not that I’m clear on it. I must distract him though. The evacuation is not going as fast as I hoped. They need a respite.

“You were right, Kallitris. I was communicating with Leot. He wants me to join him, and abandon you. I will reveal to you where he is now. Would you like to go?” I say in one breath, looking him directly in the eyes.

This is so stupid. How can he fall for that? If he was intercepting Leot’s communication all these days, I don’t even know what it was about. What if he heard different things? What if I’m completely off the subject with this lie?

The destroyer tells me that the base ship has entered the atmosphere of Almaz. All systems are ready and the tank is full. I request the formula of what is in the “tank” and recognize it as high-octane fuel. Not that I doubted, but… It might come handy in case I can’t keep up this insane charade.

“Ok, let’s go, then.” He says and wants to press the button to seal the door of the destroyer, but I smile, and whisper the order to the ship. My connection is faster, as the ship’s mind interfaced with my parasite.

He does not ask for any details. He does not care. It seems like he believes me right away. The door of the hangar slides open and we fly into hazy skies, nearly taking out one of the tall needles of Narr city.

“Wow, Demi, take it easy!” Sheirer is amused at my lack of skill, but plenty of desire to control the ship.

“Sorry…” I breathe out a sigh of relief. That was very scary. I had no idea those towers are that tall. They must be several miles into the sky. Whatever makes the erahi build that high?

These needles are everywhere, hiding in the clouds. I touch the screen and order the ship to give me warnings of obstacles ahead.

What I feel next is weird. We’re being followed. I do not see it, and I’m not informed by the ship, but there is someone behind us. This craft flew from out of space, and not from the surface of the planet. Could it be Leot? I don’t know. OK, leave it at that for now. What is my plan? Where am I taking him? As far away from the base ship so he can’t give orders to start bombing yet?

Published 
Written by GriffinGarcon
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments