Myths And Monsters Competition

last reply
47 replies
1.9k views
2 watchers
25 likes
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I've caught your disease, Ape. I threw away the 3000 words I had, kept the characters and the plot, and started fresh. This time I'll (hopefully) have a better idea of where I'm going.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Um, well, I might, maybe, possibly have something written. It's a horror-cryptid story with a faint whiff of kaiju. Absolutely new, not one of the ideas I've been farting around with, though I stole some lines and elements from one of the failed attempts. Needs to go through my usual editing process, but seems promising on first blush. So ignore my rant in Inspirations. Apparently, ranting about my inability to get a story together helped me, well, get a story together.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Kaiju!!!

Mine's less than perfect, but I suspect I'll hit submit tomorrow or the next day.

0 likes

OK, I've submitted my entry…so damn the torpedos, and full speed ahead!

Or something like that.

Now I'll try to read the other stories.

I'm going to brew a big mug of Red Rose tea, and wander back to Sara's Space, and see what I can see…

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I'm in! Slowly working my way through the stories (just two so far). Good comp!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Mine might come tonight. I'm not totally happy with what I have but the change I want to make just isn't sticking the landing. We'll see.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Seven! Seven strange and wonderful tales! Mwahahaha! lightning flashes, thunder crashes

You're really into this, aren't you, Mendalla!

One wonders what you're like once the sun goes down…

😲

Either that or you're REALLY into The Count from Sesame Street…

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

You're really into this, aren't you, Mendalla!

One wonders what you're like once the sun goes down…

😲

Either that or you're REALLY into The Count from Sesame Street…

Well, he is a vampire and for a long time, vampire fiction was my favorite sub-genre of horror so...🧛

0 likes

amazing entries!

Hopefully I can write a story for the next one.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Ten is good, if not quite up to past levels. Unless there are some last minute ones that haven't passed moderation yet? It's a good bunch, anyhow.

0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Ten is good, if not quite up to past levels. Unless there are some last minute ones that haven't passed moderation yet? It's a good bunch, anyhow.

It's a busy time of year, so maybe that had some folks sitting this one out. Which is a shame, because this was a really fun theme!

~Kat~

My top ten Monsters and Myths competition story:

Queen of the Turbines

My 2nd place Mardi Gras competition story:

Memories of Mardi Gras (One Last Time)

Chasing Dragons
1 like

Quote by KatarinaTechgoddess

It's a busy time of year, so maybe that had some folks sitting this one out. Which is a shame, because this was a really fun theme!

Absolutely right, Katarina! I didn't think I would make this one and only finished the last 700 words on Monday afternoon. Editing was real quick! 😕

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Editing was real quick! 😕

Good for you. Editing is rarely quick for me, though I did manage to accelerate things for this one since I was late starting. I wrote most of it, pretty much as you see it, on Sunday and submitted on, I think, Wednesday. The only major change between Sunday and Wednesday was adding the "framing" at the beginning and some changes to the end to close the loop on that addition.