Myths And Monsters Competition

last reply
47 replies
1.8k views
2 watchers
25 likes
Administration
1 like

We thought it was time to give our fantasy lovers a chance to show us what they’ve got. 

The word Myth comes from the Greek word 'mythos' which means 'to tell a story'. They are very old stories that were passed down and every culture has its own. Of course, you cannot have a good myth without some form of monster. 

That is what we want from you. We want to hear your best stories surrounding myths and monsters. It can be set in any time, any place or realm, real or imagined. 

Quick Rules:

All topics are open except for micro, flash, play, poetry, and song.

The word count minimum is 1000 and the maximum is 10,000

You cannot submit already published work.

All Stories Space rules and guidelines apply.VUxN4aI8PpUXAbVI

The ending date is June 19, 2023 

The winners will be announced on June 26, 2023

Prizes:

First: $150 (USD)

Second: $50 (USD

Third: $25 (USD)

Have fun and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Administration
0 likes

I know the competition art on the front page is wonky, but we are sorting it now.

Kaiju-adjacent
2 likes

TEN THOUSAND WORD MAXIMUM?!?! This sounds like fun. I’m betting Ape is psyched!

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
1 like

Just so happens, the very much on topic YouTube series Monstrum dropped a new video this week that got me thinking. So this is timely. 😊

And Storied, the channel it is on, would be good research and inspiration material in general. Besides Monstrum, there's another ongoing series called Fate & Fabled about mythology in general.

Quote by verbal
I’m betting Ape is psyched!

Ape likes topic. Ape will definitely be taking a shot at this.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Magnificent Bastard
1 like

Bingo!

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by DenimAngel

worship yay a new contest .. don't know much about the subject but I'll give it some thought

Oh come on, a cute little animal meeting a mosnter should work. Just look up Godzilla Meets Bambi.

On second thought, don't. Just take my word for it. Really. 😳

Quote by Ping

Bingo!

Whoa, you got Ping out of hiding! That alone is worth it.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by Mendalla

Just look up Godzilla Meets Bambi.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by DenimAngel

Now I gotta make godzilla all cuddly now when he meets a cute animal...lol

There's always Minilla (Godzilla's son from the 60s-70s era of Godzilla movies). That's about the hardest they ever hit the cute button in a Godzilla movie.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I'm in. I have no idea with what, but this one looks FUN! And Ping has resurfaced, like the mighty Godzilla emerging from the sea.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal

I'm in. I have no idea with what, but this one looks FUN! And Ping has resurfaced, like the mighty Godzilla emerging from the sea.

But does Ping have atomic breath?

(Answer: Probably, but a bit of Listerine helps 😜)

Crazy old ape
1 like

Oh, and I am juggling two ideas, both ones that I keep coming back around to and never quite get finished. Different settings, different monsters, but likely both on point if I play things right.

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

This is right up my alley!!! Let the brainstorm begin !!! -cackles-

Rookie Scribe
1 like

ooooh.. I like the sound of this one

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Oh boy (reaches for teddy bear)

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Hey, monsters don't need to be scary. They usually are, but they don't need to be. Think Shrek. Think Beauty & the Beast.

(says the guy who's targeting dark fantasy as the genre for his current idea)

Administration
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

Oh boy (reaches for teddy bear)

I agree with Mendalla. Not all monsters are bad. Some are just misunderstood. 😊

Kaiju-adjacent
2 likes

I have my first thousand words. No idea where I’m going yet.

1 like

Well, so far I'm up to about 400 words – and with a strong suspicion that I'll finish closer to 1,000 words than 10,000!

Well, at least that will make it easier for the judges, right?

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by JamesPBear

Well, so far I'm up to about 400 words – and with a strong suspicion that I'll finish closer to 1,000 words than 10,000!

Yeah, but how many different stories do you have? Huh?

Okay, that's probably nothing to be proud of. I am just flailing from idea to idea and none of them are sticking. This should be my dream comp and instead I am struggling. Go figure.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

Bear, in writing, size doesn't matter. 😉

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Shy Scribbler
1 like

Quote by Mendalla

Yeah, but how many different stories do you have? Huh?

Okay, that's probably nothing to be proud of. I am just flailing from idea to idea and none of them are sticking. This should be my dream comp and instead I am struggling. Go figure.

Ape, I suspect you are maybe putting too much pressure on yourself. I found my picture first. Maybe try looking at pictures and see if an idea will stick. Then I read some folk tales to figure out voice I wanted.

Administration
1 like

Quote by WriterGirl

Ape, I suspect you are maybe putting too much pressure on yourself. I found my picture first. Maybe try looking at pictures and see if an idea will stick. Then I read some folk tales to figure out voice I wanted.

Quote by Mendalla

I agree. Sometimes changing your music, at least for me, helps. Go for something dark if that's the vibe you're looking for. Change your setting. Either way, no pressure. You know once you allow yourself to let go, your creative mind will take over.