Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Random Moment, Part 14: Gloria's Discovery

"What was that noise?"

2
1 Comment 1
1.4k Views 1.4k
860 words 860 words
Rufus, Cynthia and Claire walked in to the front room. They stood there in dumbfounded silence. Not only had Amy changed her clothes - something she’d never been able to do, but she was skipping around the kitchen, humming to herself and making breakfast.

“What in blazes?” Rufus broke the collective silence.

“Rufus! Hey!” Amy giggled.

“What the heck?” He reiterated.

“Watch this!”

Amy looked smug as she went incorporeal and then corporeal again.

“I can control it now,” she grinned and said in a sing song voice.

“How?” Cynthia asked.

“Well, after you drunkards went to bed, I started experimenting with touching stuff. The more I held something, the more I was able to keep it in my hand. I have to concentrate pretty hard, but once I’ve got the knack, it’s pretty easy. How cool is this?”

Amy grabbed three plates and put an equal amount of bacon, eggs, sausages and black pudding on them.

“Eat up, family!” She chuckled.

They all ate their food. It was Rufus who was first to chuckle.

“What are you on?” Cynthia asked.

“Just thought how dysfunctional a family we’d all be, but you know what? I think it would work.”

This was met with uproarious laughter and chinking of tea mugs.

“Am I part of this family?” Claire tentatively asked.

“Cynthia?” Rufus turned to Cynthia.

“Of course she is, she helped get you back to health and understand what’s going in with wee Amy here, so hell yeah, she is!”

More laughter and chinking of tea mugs.

“I see what you mean about us being a dysfunctional family,” Amy giggled.

There came a knock at the door. Rufus peeked through the peep hole and saw his mother standing there.

‘Why’s she here?’ He thought.

“It’s my mum.”

“I’d better hide, then!” Amy skipped off and then disappeared, giggling.

Rufus opened the door and let his mum in. She looked around and saw Claire.

“Huh? Is that the nurse from the hospital?” She looked puzzled.

“Yeah, we decided to thank her for being so helpful with Rufus when he was in the hospital. She helped keep him sane. We got drinking and one thing led to another...”

“...Okay, Cynthia, stop there. I don’t need to know about my son’s sexploits.”

“Maw, there were no sexploits!”

“Ah-huh, I believe ya,” she smiled, “this place is a bloody state. Didn’t you even bother cleaning up?” Gloria got to tidying up and made herself a cup of tea.

“So, why are you here?” Rufus asked.

“Huh? No, just wanted to see how you’re doing, but looks like you’ve got things under control. Need any help getting stuff put away, Cynthia?” Gloria asked.

“Nah, it’s fine,” Cynthia yawned.

Gloria continued tidying up and then pointed to a bag, telling Cynthia to look inside it and take the package out.

“Go on, open it.” Gloria told her.

Cynthia unwrapped the package and her eyes lit up. Inside was a brand new, top of the range food processor.

“Wow, Gloria, this is amazing!” Cynthia hugged Gloria tight and thanked her profusely.

“Well, you were talking about starting your own bakery, so thought I’d help you out a bit. Look at all the stuff it does,” Gloria smiled.

“I know, this is the one I was telling you about!” Cynthia gushed.

The two women started waxing lyrical about the new food processor and sounding very excited about it. Rufus excused himself and headed to the bathroom.

“How you doing, Amy, you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Wish she’d go away so I can come back though.”

“Can’t you just do your disappearing act again?”

“I can, but she’s aware of me, so I can’t take the risk. I’m not ready to meet her yet,” Amy whispered back, blushing a little.

“Okay, you mind if I go back?”

“No, go ahead, I’m fine here.”

Rufus went back to the action and now Claire was getting in on it. Rufus was amazed how someone could get excited over a food processor, but when he listened closer, he found that they were all talking about Cynthia’s business idea. They all seemed very excited about it and they were talking about going into business together.

“Well, if you lot need any help, you know who to go to,” Rufus sneaked up on the rabble.

“Yeah! You can be our business advisor!” Cynthia giggled.

“I’m the paperwork guy and the public relations dude, too,” Claire chimed in.

“I’m the brains,” Gloria laughed.

“And Cynthia is the amazingly hot baker!” Rufus kissed Cynthia.

They all laughed and then stopped abruptly. There was a massive thud heard from the other room, which stopped them in their tracks.

“What was that?” Gloria asked and headed towards the room.

“Probably nothing. This place cracks and creaks, just leave it,” but it was too late.

Gloria walked in to the room to see Amy picking herself up.

“Who are you?” Gloria asked.

Rufus, Cynthia and Claire rushed in to see Amy being questioned by Gloria.

Published 
Written by Circle_Something
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments