Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Random Moment: Part Six, Meeting Amy

"Time to meet Amy..."

5
4 Comments 4
1.3k Views 1.3k
845 words 845 words
“Amy, this is Cynthia, don’t be alarmed, she’s friendly,” Rufus told Amy.

Amy never spoke, unfortunately she was mute, but she was easy enough to read. That’s one of the many things Rufus loved about Amy.

“Um, hello Amy,” Cynthia greeted Amy.

Amy hid behind Rufus. She was nervous, but she flashed a shy smile in Cynthia’s direction. She seemed to be warming to Cynthia. Rufus handed Cynthia a cup of tea and beckoned her into the living room.

“Amy’s hiding from me isn’t she?” Cynthia asked.

“Looks like. Don’t worry, she’ll come back once she knows you better. She was the same with me as well at first.”

“Oh, I see. This is weird, isn’t it?”

“It’s strange, I’ll grant you, but it’s my normal, so I’m cool with it.”

“What, you just regularly invite random strangers to your flat to meet your wee ghostie?”

“No, actually, just you. In fact, not even my family has met Amy.”

“Huh? Are you trying to say something?”

“Well, I think you’re pretty cool and I have no idea why, but I trust you enough to introduce you to Amy. Also, Amy only meets people she wants.”

“Wow, Rufus, that’s something else. You’re cool too.”

Rufus got up and put some music on.

“Bob Seger okay with you?” He asked Cynthia. He wasn’t trying to dodge a conversation or anything... It just felt like the right thing to do at the time.

“Yeah, good as any. Cripes, look at the time. I should be going home!”

The truth was, that was a mere excuse. This situation scared Cynthia, but it also... excited her. She’d never met a ghost before and she’d never met anyone like Rufus. To say she was intrigued, wouldn’t be too far a stretch.

“It’s cool, I’ve got a spare room, if you want to stay,” Rufus countered. He wanted to get to know Cynthia more, so got up to make the bed in the spare room.

“It’s nothing special, but you’ll get a good sleep here.”

“Alright, might as well stay the night. I’ll just drop a text and then it’ll all be okay.”

“Sure thing.”

Cynthia sent her text to let her mum know where she was. Even though she’s old enough to make her own decisions, she still likes to keep here mum in the loop. Well, not completely in the loop, but just enough to let her know she was safe.

“Fancy a wee joint?” Rufus offered Cynthia.

“Joint? I’ve not had one for ages, yes please!”

Rufus rolled the joint and the atmosphere changed from edgy and weird to giggly and quite crazy... Absurd, you could say. The pair just rolled on the living room floor together giggling at nothing and everything.

“Rufus, I need to say something,” a serious look came over Cynthia, her eyes still twinkling.

“Go on.”

“Well, it’s not something I’d say with my lips... well it is actually,” she blushed.

Cynthia scooted closer to Rufus and grabbed his manly chin. She gently parted her mouth and brought it to his.

“That’s ‘thanks’ for making me laugh,” Cynthia blushed.

Rufus just blushed back to her, blank expression on his face. He had no idea what to do next, where it might go.

“Um, well, I should... I’m just gonna head to bed now... See you in the morning, Rufus?” Cynthia excused herself.

‘Uh, what just happened,’ Rufus thought to himself.

‘Now he‘s gonna think I‘m some sort of slut, well done Cynthia!’ Cynthia berated herself.

Rufus rolled another joint and sat on the floor wondering what to do next. He decided, after a long time of deliberation, to go and see Cynthia.

Cynthia was sitting on the bed trying to figure out what to do.

“Cynthia, there’s something I want to say...”

Rufus pulled Cynthia close and kissed her. He broke away and hugged her.

“That’s a ‘you’re welcome’. I’m glad I could make you laugh. You wear it well.”

Rufus left the spare room and went back to the living room. He switched the music to Motörhead and sat back in his leather sofa to relax. Cynthia came in and joined him.

“That was silly to be so awkward, wasn’t it?” Cynthia giggled.

“Yeah, it was, but completely understandable.”

Cynthia sat next to Rufus on the couch and snuggled into him.

“I like what’s happening here, Rufie.”

“Me too, Cynthia,” Rufus took an inhale of the joint and passed it to Cynthia.

The silly pair sat entwined, at one with one another and eventually fell asleep with contented smiles on their dials. Their thoughts swirled, wondering what, if anything, would happen next. It was such a strange situation. They felt as if they’d been friends for years, but there was still that trepidation of a new friendship. Who knows what’ll happen?
Published 
Written by Circle_Something
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments