Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
That Saturday Morning.The rewrite.

1
1 Comment 1
886 Views 886
519 words 519 words

This is a true story. It has been told many times and always gets a laugh. I even told it at her funeral as she always said that she didn't want people sitting around crying. Now it was a typical Saturday morning at our house and It had to be sometime before Memorial Day because my parents were still at home, normally they are at our cottage. My mom who is a habitual early riser headed to the kitchen to make coffee and let the big orange and white cat up from the basement.  

She opened the folding door and the big cat bounced into the kitchen to say his good morning. That's when she spotted them. There were a small pair of ladies slip on sneakers on the steps leading to the basement. Now between job loses and divorces there was always one or two of us three boys at home, except the youngest. He had found himself an excellent girlfriend and had moved out.

 Now we were permitted to stay for a long or short time as needed. The rent was very reasonable, room and board in exchange for household chores. All the household chores except cooking.

There were also rules that had to be adhered to. No noise or smoking after lights out and no overnight guests unless approved, and that didn't happen. My parents were not prudes, but they drew the line at us having overnight lovers under their roof.

"Oh my, he has a lady friend downstairs with him," Mom said to herself.

Now she knew that we were not choir boys or saints, but this was unacceptable. 

"What is he going to do, bring her upstairs to breakfast? What do I say to her?" Mom asked herself.

It was about a minute of two later that she heard the downstairs toilet flush meaning that somebody was up and moving.

"What if she comes up alone? Do I pretend I don't see her and allow her to slip out the door? Do I offer her coffee?" Mom questioned herself.

A moment later my middle brother came upstairs and bid her a good morning. Mom didn't say anything until after he poured himself a cup of coffee and took a seat at the table.

"Is your friend still asleep?" Mom questioned.

"What friend?" my brother answered looking puzzled.

The lady friend you have in your room," Mom replied in a knowing tone.

"Mom, there is no lady in my room," he replied.

Mom fixed him with a look.

"Oh really. Then whose tiny shoes are on the stairs?" she asked.

My brother rose from his seat and went to the landing to see for himself. He returned to his seat and his coffee.

"So who do those shoes belong to?" she asked.

"Mom, those are your shoes," he answered with a smile.

Mom got up and went back to the door and stared hard at the shoes parked there. She returned to her seat a minute later.

"I never knew my feet were so small," was all she said.

My brother laughed until he choked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments