Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Do We Really Know Them?

4
6 Comments 6
1.5k Views 1.5k
599 words 599 words
It has not always been a subject that concerned me. I mean since I first got online and started finding people I called friends, or just acquaintances. The fact that these are disembodied people who may or may not be what they say they are. I am the trusting type. I always take people at face value until I am proved wrong. And I have been proved wrong. More than once, and most importantly, by people I had formed a deep and abiding fondness for.

Recently, though, it is becoming more and more clear that people may really not be what they present themselves to be. Otherwise, why hide behind false names and faces. Why not give out your real home and your real family? Oh, I know there are psychos out there ready to take advantage of honesty. There have always been such, and there always will be, until we all transcend this world of woe.

I was the same way myself for many months. I hid my name and my real location from everyone. I was not who I seemed. That has all changed now. My real name is there for anyone who cares to know it. My location is easy to find on any good map of the state of Kansas. I am who I am.

It has occurred to me how few of us here online will actually ever meet the people we call friends, and even lovers. So many have found what they believe is true love online. Are they fooling themselves? Do they really, in their heart of hearts actually love that other person? Would they have the same feeling if they met them in person?

I was lucky enough to actually meet a friend I found here online. That person became a dear friend through chats and emails and posts. I was certain the friendship was true and durable. And I seem to have been proved right. With my wife, I was able to meet that person and spend time with her. It was like meeting an old friend after a long separation. The friendship will surely endure. She is a woman of honor, as am I. We will be friends for good.

But, I have also heard of instances where strong bonds seem to have been created and then those bonds are broken and the dearness they felt for each other fails. It fails miserably. Such a sadness overcomes me when I think of the friendships and loves that have come into being online only to either end abruptly or simply fade away with time and lack of attention. 'Tis a pity.

Often, the relationship is broken for the most trivial of misunderstandings. It could have been saved if one or the other had simply said, "I am sorry. What can I do to resolve this between us?"

However, I am not telling anyone what to do with their lives. Oh no, that is not, nor ever will be, my function. If you are happy in your cyber loves and friendships then continue as long as you can. If it pleases you what is the harm? But do remember. You do have "real" people to be aware of. Your friends and lovers and families that are there day in and day out in reality and are not online. They are sharing your life and the burdens and joys you have felt. They feel them too.

So, I will continue to make new friends, and attempt to keep the old ones, and keep on keeping on.

Peace be with you all. Namaste.

Published 
Written by Survivor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments