Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Write What You Know

4
4 Comments 4
1.5k Views 1.5k
316 words 316 words
Someone once asked me why I never write in the perspective of a woman. If the popular saying amongst writers is "write what you know," then that'll be your goddamn answer. I don't know. Am I just too lazy to do a little research? Probably. To me, no amount of research will arrive to conclusive data anyway. A woman's mind is equivalent to a Labyrinth with only one entry point and less exits. Does that make them horrible? No, they're pretty much the opposite. It just makes them confusing... a complicated, irregular network of passages or paths in which it is difficult to find one's way and which holds no concrete exit ... that's all.

So why would I pretend to know what goes on in one of their heads? I wouldn't gain more readers, I would just come off as even more ignorant than I already am and do. I have never met a woman in love, aside from my mother (and I refuse to ever write from her perspective), so how would I craft any sort of personal feelings if the main character to my story was a woman. How do they really act when they love someone? Do women really think of their men while they are working, or hanging out with their friends? Do they talk about them in only positive ways to everyone around them? Do they want to show off their men? When you hang out with a girl all night, and you get upset when she leaves even though you know she has to...does she miss you the second the car door closes, like you do? Does she even think about it?

I don't know. I've never seen it. I've never felt it...I am not them.

I would just be a rotten liar if I wrote in the perspective of a woman. And, in turn, a shitty writer. 

Published 
Written by Patrick
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments