New Site - Please post any issues / bugs you find here

last reply
278 replies
16.8k views
15 watchers
50 likes
Administration
1 like

I'm really liking the new look and speed of the site.

There are bound to be some issues / bugs so please bear with us over the next month or so while they are addressed.

If you come across a problem or something you'd like to see, please post it in this thread.

Thank you!

Nicola

0 likes

Story cover images being cropped by the new cover picture dimensions. I think it’s been mentioned already, but it bothers me and most of my story covers look ridiculous. If the dimensions can be changed, that’s great. If not, it’s really easy to swap out cover pictures but editing will have to be enabled for ex-competition stories. They’re currently locked. 

Thank you x

0 likes

Apparently there’s no preview option when stories are submitted? I used to use preview to check the formatting and any upload issues (like turning the text into bold if you use asterisks as paragraph dividers) before hitting submit. It saves work for the mods. 

Apologies if that’s already been sorted. 

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
I just submitted another story for Tam’s challenge. There was no limit. 👍

I did so to test the submission process. It was smooth but still some bugs to work out. Picture gets narrowed and text is blurry. No copyright info. Fewer editing options including not showing a preview, edit, or save function. It’s submit only. No choice for title removed from cover picture. No notification that the submission was sent to be reviewed and verified.

I suspect this stuff will eventually be addressed. One thing at a time.

Story just got posted. Tags were not included, which for some stories, are very important queues to the reader. The tags were not displayed on the copy that was sent to me awaiting verification. I'd hoped the tags would show up once verified, but they were not.

In addition, the spacing between lines in text box when adding body of story needs better definition (more between paragraphs). Space between lines in paragraph versus between paragraphs seems to be the same, or at least it did, when I submitted the story from my phone. In this post, there is a little more space between the paragraphs that the lines within. This last paragraph, I double spaced between it and the paragraph above, just for reference.

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
0 likes
Quote by Ping
I just submitted another story for Tam’s challenge. There was no limit. 👍

I did so to test the submission process. It was smooth but still some bugs to work out. Picture gets narrowed and text is blurry. No copyright info. Fewer editing options including not showing a preview, edit, or save function. It’s submit only. No choice for title removed from cover picture. No notification that the submission was sent to be reviewed and verified.

I suspect this stuff will eventually be addressed. One thing at a time.

Story just got posted. Tags were not included, which for some stories, are very important queues to the reader. The tags were not displayed on the copy that was sent to me awaiting verification. I'd hoped the tags would show up once verified, but they were not.

No verification? Wow! I changed a load of story covers last night with no verification needed but I thought  they went through because I didn’t edit the text. Apparently not. 

Edit - verification copy, ok, so not just posted with no verification. That’s good. Shame about the tags, though. They are important. 

Another thing, as I keep harping on about story covers (sorry) I noticed that they don’t show at all if you click on a story without signing in. You get the text, nothing else. 

0 likes

Hi I am new here, but I am having log in issues. I click log in and a drop down box tells me I am logging in as me. Yeah! Then nothing. A minute or two later another box saying page unresponsive wait or delete? Press wait and another minute or two I get a bigger box telling me to resubmit and then, bingo, I am in.

I appreciate the site is new. Newer than me, but no one else seems to have mentioned it. Maybe it is me.

I have reported it.

0 likes

Also been mentioned, I think, but RRs and EPs aren’t listed on stories, they’re only visible once you click on a story and even then, the badge is rather underwhelming. Awards are like hen’s teeth on SS so Id like them to be loud and proud smile 

Administration
2 likes
Quote by fantasylady69

Hi I am new here, but I am having log in issues. I click log in and a drop down box tells me I am logging in as me. Yeah! Then nothing. A minute or two later another box saying page unresponsive wait or delete? Press wait and another minute or two I get a bigger box telling me to resubmit and then, bingo, I am in.

I appreciate the site is new. Newer than me, but no one else seems to have mentioned it. Maybe it is me.

I have reported it.

I have noticed this too. It says "Signing in as Nicola" then doesn't work. If I then refresh my browser, it shows me as logged in.

The cover image issue is being addressed. We actually want all covers to be of a certain dimension so that when we show cover images on the front page, they will look uniform.
Administration
1 like

I can't post an image from my hard drive directly into a forum post. It would be better if we could rather than have to add it to your own images, then post the link. 

This story has html in instead of the "non-breaking space" that's meant to be there:

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by nicola

I can't post an image from my hard drive directly into a forum post. It would be better if we could rather than have to add it to your own images, then post the link. 

Actually, I am thinking the most efficient method right now is to keep your stock of images in Imgur or something and use the image linking on the External tab. If you have to upload them separately anyhow, might just as well use a good image site as here.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by fantasylady69

I have noticed this too. It says "Signing in as Nicola" then doesn't work. If I then refresh my browser, it shows me as logged in.

This is the login issue I raised back at the beginning. I am finding it is working okay on my desktop now but still having problems on my phone.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

I'm having a problem changing my avatar. Every time I try, it says it's changed, but then it switches back to the one I have. I'm on an iPad (7th gen) if that means anything.

My heart has wi-fi and the password is Drew Carey.

0 likes

If you edit an existing story, it reappears on the front page as if it’s new. The one of mine on there now was published 5 years ago. All I did was remove the cover picture and hit submit. 

Rainbow Chaser
0 likes

When I click on 'My Media' on my profile, it just eggtimes for me. I can see other people's, just not my own.

Ask forgiveness, not permission

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Jen

When I click on 'My Media' on my profile, it just eggtimes for me. I can see other people's, just not my own.

Actually, your Media page is doing it for me, too. I see you just signed up recently. Wonder if something got messed up with your profile.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

In Stories, editing is disabled for old comp entries. I see no reason why this should be the case since it was possible to edit them on the old site and even for entries in a current comp, there is no rule about not editing an entry.

Administration
0 likes

When you post a YouTube video, there is no way to add text to it. I wrote something before I posted and tried to edit it in, but nothing.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Molly

When you post a YouTube video, there is no way to add text to it. I wrote something before I posted and tried to edit it in, but nothing.

I just posted two videos with text in Inspirations. Did you add the video before hitting submit or did you go back and edit to add the video. Link to one of mine:

https://www.storiesspace.com/forum/the-break-room/inspirations-the-stories-space-coffee-house?page=167&post=186417

Crazy old ape
0 likes

When you post an external image link (e.g. a Giphy gif) it is hiding text in the post similar to how videos used to.

There are no notifications being generated for comments. The only way to know if your stories are getting new comments is to keep checking My Comments. (if this is just a setting I am missing, let me know)

Crazy old ape
2 likes

One that Survivor pointed out in another thread:

At the end of stories, there used to be recommendations for other stories the reader might like. This should be brought back at some point, even if it is not a priority item.

0 likes

A small thing more for Red than here - the authors ebook section (great to have it back) is listed in order of posting date (I think) with menu search option by author and title. Okay, that’s fine here where there’s only five pages of titles to browse if you feel like doing so but the listing on Red is enormous. I can’t help but feel an alphabetical listing like the one already in place is needed. The randomness of the current listing seems out of place on this super-organised site. 

It’s one for whenever, though. Not urgent. 

Edit -just thought I’d better try out the ebook search options. I’m afraid they don’t work. Sorry. 

0 likes

Just noticed that non-members can’t look at profile pages at all, so if they read a story they like, they can’t look up your others - unless there’s a setting for that I haven’t adjusted? 

Also, there’s no longer anywhere specific to post links to author websites, blogs etc 

I have to admit, I haven’t tried adding links into to my profile description. Would that work? 

Edit: yes, it does smile 

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

Okay the messaging feature is not working

Makes it hard to have a conversation with friends .

Friends need to have a way to communicate other than swapping mail .. 

Can something be done to give a better messaging option the IM window is just a blank and I've had friends try to send messages and I'm not getting them . 

I'm using my phone and no access to a computer .

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42

Just noticed that non-members can’t look at profile pages at all, so if they read a story they like, they can’t look up your others - unless there’s a setting for that I haven’t adjusted? 

If you go into Privacy (tap/click your avatar in the top right and it is on the menu) the first setting is "Profile is visible to non-members/search engines". Mine is on and I thought that was the default but you might want to check it.

0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Welshdreamer42

If you go into Privacy (tap/click your avatar in the top right and it is on the menu) the first setting is "Profile is visible to non-members/search engines". Mine is on and I thought that was the default but you might want to check it.
Checked that and it’s ticked, just not working sad 
0 likes

Another note re. Author ebooks, they are no longer listed on your profile. They’re all there in my ebooks, and listed on the front page in the ebooks section, but they don’t appear on your page underneath your stories any more. I liked that feature. 

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42

Checked that and it’s ticked, just not working sad 
I think one of them mentioned making profiles private at one point. They should make them public again once the issues with public vs private photos are resolved. I can only think this is related to that work.

0 likes

So how long until we get private albums/photos and my profile shows up if I'm not logged in? I can't delete the pictures that are showing. I don't feel the site feels secure. I can't hide my age. 

I still have to wait for my avatar to be approved?

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by GodsAngel

So how long until we get private albums/photos and my profile shows up if I'm not logged in? I can't delete the pictures that are showing. I don't feel the site feels secure. I can't hide my age. 

I still have to wait for my avatar to be approved?

There is a Private album now. Go to My profile, Media and you can move pictures to Private. Click the little triangle in the top right of a photo and choose Move, then select Private. Delete is on that menu, too.

Not sure about the other two off hand.

They need to let us hide birthdate for sure. Forcing us to show that probably violates a few privacy laws.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by GodsAngel

I don't feel the site feels secure. I can't hide my age. 

I checked some profiles including yours and could not see birthdate. It only appears for the owner of the profile, it seems, not anyone else.