Who do you write like?

last reply
21 replies
10.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Have you ever put a sample of your writing into a text analyser to see who you write like? Not sure how accurate it is, but it's kinda fun!

I write like...

My result was Cory Doctorow. I'm going to have to go find out who that is now!
Lurker
0 likes
I got Stephen King.

I wish I had his storytelling ability.
Administration
0 likes
I write like: Stephen King. That's odd considering I mainly write business reports and pulp fiction!

I wonder how many authors they have in their database?
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Mine was Anne Rice- that made me giddy and I seriously yelped- I've read every book she's ever written!
I basically worship her like a god.
Life is funny :-)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by love2write
I got Stephen King.

I wish I had his storytelling ability.

I got Stephen King too! Tried it with a story that I will be submitting here in the next day or so.

Not only do I wish I had his storytelling ability, but wish for his bank account and movie deals as well
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I plugged in my longest written piece to date (88,000 words, unfinished), and I got David Foster Wallace.

I'm not sure how accurate the analysis is, but I loved that comparison. I think he's brilliant.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
It seems unfair to suggest I write like any of my favorites, but don't we all model after those we love? I guess I write like my dad and Chuck Klosterman, my two greatest influences.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
David Foster Wallace.. who ever that might be.
If you can read this I'll enjoy your company.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
It says I write like DirtyMartini...

Who the heck is that???
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
funny... i did it twice and had two different authors. one was charles dickens the other chuck palahniuk
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Cory Doctorow

www.szadventures.com

Administration
0 likes
My writing style differs with every one I write, they are all pretty much dependent on my mood at the time inspiration strikes...

Entered one of my poems though and got Anne Rice, which delights me no end... love her work.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Took a blog entry, that was like William Gibson(who I have no idea who is)

Took one of my erotica stories, and that turned out to be Cory Doctorow(no clue)

And I took one of my comp entries here and apparantly that was like Mark Twain!

Now I just need some good story ideas and some skills and I'm gonna become a legend=P
A signature? Bah! Damned be your signatures and their feeble minded minions. I will have no signature so that every post is unique!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Hahaha! you might ;)
If you can read this I'll enjoy your company.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tried three different segments from the first chapter of a story I have up on another writing site which shall remain nameless, though it is well-known by many members here. Each segment was at least three paragraphs long (more, if it included dialogue).

I got the following results: Stephen King, Chuck Palahniuk, and Margaret Mitchell.

Interesting. I have never even heard of Chuck whatsisname, let alone ever read anything he (or she - it could be a pen name, for all I know) has written. So, just now, in the middle of writing this post, I did a copy/paste of his name, and followed it with the word "excerpt" and took the time to read the beginning of chapter one of Lullaby. It is incredibly disjointed. With a gazillion sentence fragments. All tossed in, in little bits and pieces. The thoughts jump around. That don't seem to fit.

I was just about to give it up as a lost cause, and shake my head wondering how some people get to be on best seller lists, when I suddenly realized I was geting interested in the story. Go figure.

Now I have to admit, I am passingly familiar with both Stephen King and Margaret Mitchell. Dr. Rabbitfoot scared me simple (Ghost Story is the only thing I've ever read that gave me nightmares) and I can quote lines from GWTW ("I don't know nuthin' 'bout berthin' no babies, Miss Scarlet" and "Oh fiddle de dee. I'll think about that tomorrow." and the line everyone knows, "Frankly, my dear...") but I am not concious of particularly liking either of their writing styles.

So this all comes as a bit of a shock, and makes me ask two questions: 1) How many authors are in the possible list of results; and, 2) What would happen if one copied and pasted the first page of James Joyce's Ulysses, or John Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus into the little box?

By the way, I don't know who started this thread, but the first word in the title should be the objective form, "whom".
"Any book not worth reading twice was not worth reading the first time." Oscar Wilde
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, gee, I guess it depends on what I'm writing at the time, because I got...

Chuck Palahniuk or whatever, never even heard of him, when I typed in Love You Through It the first time.

The second time, I got Stephen King with my story Zana- Part One, and the same thing the fourth time with Meghan- Hair, a poem:

The third time, I got James Joyce by typing in Frightening Thoughts

I write so differently for each piece, I guess I confuse it.
I wonder what would happen if I put two of those different writings into it. Would I get someone completely different? Or would I really confuse it?

Hm, random thoughts. smile

💓 Melissa Etheridge - PULSE ( for orlando victims ) 💓 - YouTube

As always, kindness is free, so please consider that when replying to someone rather than the alternatives. You never know what's going on in their life that you may not see. Love, Light & Blessed Be, friends.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wow, thx for sharing this. I would have never known something like this exists.

I too got Chuck Palahniuk as the author I emulate -- and I used two different samples to make sure, and it gave the same answer for both.

I have not read Chuck's book "Fight Club" and I'm not sure I'd want to, but I'll have to check out some of his work at some point and see if I agree with the analysis.

Ooh, just checked Wikipedia. Chuck writes Transgressive fiction. Not sure if that's where I'm going with my stories...

"Transgressive fiction is a genre of literature that focuses on characters who feel confined by the norms and expectations of society and who break free of those confines in unusual and/or illicit ways."
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Cory Doctorow. Never read his book before and now I need to google him.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Really, I got William Shakespeare? Very odd... Well, I did write it in a sort-of-archaic style, so that'd explain it. I think I just write like myself. Sure, I have influences, but I have an inimitable style, much like most people who write, whether that be for fun or professionally, one person is very seldom going to say exactly the same thing as another, even when they mean the same thing. Still, quite a fun website. At one point, I got Vladimir Nabokov and Stephen King. If I had any the aforementioned authors' writing chops, I'd be jamming!
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
0 likes
Quote by Rumple_deWriter
Don't need no stinkin' text analyzer to know I write like an unpublished novelist. (sigh)

Make room for me on that one, except I have no aspirations to be a novelist. Short stories are my preference.